Why are many women so against hospital births...are they not aware it is not safe for everyone for many reasons?

I am just wondering what all your thoughts are on this. I am very high risk (severe asthma and a genetic blood clotting disorder) but I have had some women condemn me for having a hospita birth. I thik it is wondeful if you can do it but why make others feel bad if they can't?

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol who actually condemned you for having a hospital birth? No way in hell would I ever have a home birth. It might be nice to be in my own bed right after having a baby but I'm sorry, I want the comfort of professionals and technology around me. And I dare someone to have a problem with that!
    Anonymous

• I had planned on having a birth center birth. The one that is associated with my practice is actually a part of the hospital and is on the same floor as L&D so for me it was an easy choice because if something went wrong they'd just toss you in a wheel chair and wheel you across the hall. Sadly for me I never actually made it to the birth center side. Too many things went wrong for me and I had to be continuously monitored.

I think it's great to try for natural child birth, but people should always be aware that SOMETIMES things just don't go as planned. Other mothers should not try so hard to make others feel bad about their choices.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Maybe where you live they condemn women for having hospital births, but not here in the Bay Area, CA! Every woman I know has had a hospital birth and probably wouldn't even think about doing anything else.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I'd be too scared to homebirth. More power to the moms who want to but that doesn't give them the right to look down on the moms who have medical problems.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I had a perfectly normal pregnancy and birth and five minutes after my daughter was born I started hemerraging and almost died. If I hadn't had a blood transfusion right then and there I would be dead today and my daughter would be motherless so who is being ridiculous now? Have your baby in a hospital. There is going to be some whack job insisting you are making the wrong decision and trying to condemn you for it no matter what you do for your child. Listen to your heart and instincts and don't listen to morons advice.e
    Anonymous

• No ones house meets medical steralization standards. Sorry but its true. You're opening yourself up to all kinds of risks and infections when you home birth. Why do you think mother/child death rates were so high in the pioneer times? Gee could it be because they didn't have access to good enough medical care?
    Anonymous

• Actually, death rates were high due to poor nutrition and lack of knowledge about basic hygenie. For example, one of the most common diseases of malnutrition, at that time, rickets, killed way more babies and their mothers than we'll ever realize because that disease twisted a woman's pelvic bone structure so badly she would have been lucky to squeeze out an orange.
    Another example, when birth first moved into hospitals, death rates went UP because doctors were attending to sick patients and then delivering babies without washing their hands in between.
    Today we know how to get adequate vit D (along with folic acid and all the other nutrients so necessary to a healthy pregnancy) and about the importance of cleanliness. Those factors alone have significantly lowered the death rate.
    Holland sees 30% of it's births take place at home and has a fetal/maternal death rate less than half of ours.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I firmly believe hospitals are for high risk women. That's what hospitals and OB specialists are for - treating women with high risk conditions during pregnancy. But somewhere around 70 to 80 percent of women do not have those risks. For those women, the benefits of a home birth *may* outweigh the benefits of a hospital birth. For example, your body knows your house. It knows the germs and bacteria in your house. It knows your dog, your child's cold, and the pollens your husband tracks in when he comes home from work. I or my baby could get sick giving birth in your house because my body doesn't know the microenvironment of your house. But I almost certainly won't get sick giving birth in my house because my body, my immune system knows what's here and what's a real threat. Same with a hospital. My body doesn't know the germs at the hospital. I am far more likely to get sick AT the hospital than at home.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• eema.gray back it up with proof from a reliable source.
    Anonymous

• Maybe they didn't know you were high risk? It's actually extremely contraindicated to attempt an at home, or even a birthing center delivery if you're considered high risk. The attending professionals won't do it. I would love to have an at-home, or birthing center delivery, however I have a bleeding issue that prevents it. My pregnancies are not high risk, but my deliveries are (not for baby, just me).

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009