• In the Spotlight:

I think I need a prayer or 2

I am having a really hard time. I'm normally a very Happy person. I've recently been devestated by my husband, which was a total shock and got on Anti-depressants. I guess half way being in denial and telling myself I was the innocent person " why am I drugging myself to feel better". Basiclly suck it up. I stopped taking them. For 3 days I've laid on the couch and cried, I don't feel like being here anymore. I'm tired of being fake, I just want to call someone to lean on but I'm terribly enbarrased.. How do you tell people that I hate myself for no reason. I hated the meds, and know I will snap back in a few days, I guess I've just never been this f'n low and alone. Anyone have a joke, or wise words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• I say, call a friend and tell them what you are going through! I bet they have felt that way at some point or another in their life also and probably would love to help you through it!
    Reeree064

Answer by Reeree064 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• depression is real and you can't just "snap out of it". You are grieving and that's ok. Don't push the emotions down. It's ok and human to get them out. You have to take antidepressants for several weeks for them to get the full effect. Don't just quit them. It might make you more depressed. I too have been recently devastated by someone. You are not being fake when you are being honest. Don't feel embarrassed either. I hope this helps some.
    PaulaAnnDom

Answer by PaulaAnnDom at 10:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I was on anti-depressants at one point in my life and I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone. They made me more or less apathetic toward my own life and I felt like I wanted to kill myself. When you quit them cold turkey, you will have dizzy spells and it is not reccomended. You have to cut the pill off and ween yourself off of them. I would first start by getting some counseling or talking to a pastor at a church and try to ween yourself off of them slowly. They ARE addictive and you will feel a lot worse if you cut them off completely. And just remember that in this life everything is temporary. Life is ever changing and good changes are coming your way.
    Anonymous

• I was on the pills for quite sometime. They definatly kicked in cause I didn't care about anything and the second I got off, the strong pain and emotion came right back. I quit cold turkey for 2 reasons, yes I do not enjoy the pain I'm feeling right now, but I highly hated feeling absolutly nothing, that is not normal. Also I was prescribed a pill that was costing me over $100 for a 30 day supply, but the latter was doable I just need to feel. I am also in counseling. It's just not working. Basiclly I want out of my marriage, but I'm scared and embarrasment. I'm not gonna lie. I love him, I just hurt to much to think clearly.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry you are going through it. But to me you sound like a very strong person! You are dead right, you will get over this...it will take time. I've been where you are and also took meds for a short time to cope before my divorce. I actually think I benefited from it. That and the therapy. I was at such a breaking point at the time. Every situation is different, so you have to do what is best for you. I think you are on the right track asking for someone to tell a joke. It's a very good idea to put yourself in happier mood. Get out and see friends. Keep busy. You will get though it. You are stronger than you think.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I got off prescription meds and now just use over the counter 5htp and vitamin b complex when depression sets in. It works for me and I don't have to take it all the time. I just started reading an amazing book if you are interested. It's called The Journey from Abandonment to Healing by Susan Anderson. It's helping me get through some crappy stuff and giving me something to focus on that is positive.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009