• In the Spotlight:

acid reflux?

i just read somebody elses post and i started to think, maybee my baby has acid reflux..she just started to spit up the clear fluid, wich i guess is acid, and she always fusses so much when im burping her, i always just assumed it was becuz she was still so hungry...she dosnt spit up milk very often tho..so do you think its acid reflux or just occassional acid coming up?

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi! Acid reflux doesn't just mean spitting up. There is something called silent acid reflux, which is even said to be worse. It might be acid reflux if she is in pain and fussing a lot.
    rgibson23

Answer by rgibson23 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A baby with acid reflux is generally most uncomfortable lying flat on their back. They'll arch their back and scream, most times, because stomach acid and milk are flowing into their esophagus. With silent reflux, the spit up comes partway and then goes back down, burning the esophagus both ways. My son had regular acid reflux. He would spit up huge quantities of milk, I had to have him sleep on an incline so that his food wouldn't flow back up out of his stomach, and tummy time was ENTIRELY out of the question.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My daughter has acid reflux and she would spit up large amounts of stuff and when her tummy was done spitting up the formula, it would turn to straight acid. She would cry everytime I tried to feed her and burp her. Zantac made a world of difference with her. No more pain and she still spits up a ton but no more just pure acid. talk to your baby's doctor.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My baby has acid reflux and does not spit up a lot. He sounds congested sometimes after he takes a bottle and arches his back and cries. The doc said it was like heartburn for babies. My son is on medication for it and has improved a lot.

My daughter had acid reflux when she was a baby and spit up everything she ate and screamed every time I fed her. It took a while before the doctors found out what was wrong, but once they changed her formula and put her on medication she got better. She is now 11 years old and only occasionally has trouble with it (mainly if she gets a stomach virus).
    Anonymous