Having trouble getting my son to go to bed on his own!

My husband and I have one child. We have really spoiled him I guess by letting him sleep in our bed. We lay down with him everynight until he falls asleep. The problem is that he has noticed that when he goes to bed, mommy and daddy get up and go in the living room. It is taking him an hour to an hour and a half to fall asleep now and sometimes he wakes up after 30 minutes or so and we have to start all over again. He is 4 years old now. I don't mind him sleeping in the bed with us, but I was just wondering what my first step should be to getting him to fall asleep on his own at night. We have always made him go to bed at 8 or 8:30 pm and I no longer give him naps during the day b/c if he gets one (even if is only for 30 minutes) we still have trouble getting him to go to bed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reeree064

Asked by Reeree064 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You would have to stop letting him sleep in your bed. I had to distract my daughter. I let her go to bed watching a video. Sometimes I would stay and watch others I wouldn't. I made her aware that I was just in the other room if she needed anything. After a while she no longer needed me then, she would drift off during the video then I was able to take the TV out of her room altogether. It didn't take me very long then again, she never slept in my bed even as a newborn so she didn't have that separation anxiety. Sometimes you just have to let a kid cry.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son never slept with us, but we have a hard time keeping him in the bed til he falls asleep. Sometimes we do lay down with him and sometimes we don't. Most of the time, if he gets up we just consistently (sp?) put him back to bed and just tell him "don't get back up".... he has cried it out before, but not alot of times... if he does cry its because he mad. lol! Just having a routine bed time and if he gets up , take him back to bed and tuck him back in...... this is really what we do. Hope it helps. =)
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with AsaGarrett you have to keep taking them back. You and your husband have to be on the same page with this. I learned the hard way. Kids are smart. my daughter started to go to my husbands side of the bed because, he would let her stay. So if they know both of you will return them to their own bed then it works faster.
    redhotmomma46

Answer by redhotmomma46 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Check this book out, I found it at my Library it was VERY helpful for me, "The no-cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley. I can't say enough good things about it. Good luck!
    rchris48

Answer by rchris48 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009