I recently started a job, thought I had a babysitting situation under control, and for the 2nd time found out at the last minute I dont....

I don't make alot of money, I don't have to make alot of money, but I have to make SOME money in order to keep the roof over our heads. I found a job that can be flexible (delivering pizzas), part-time, and I even make tips which is like a daily allowance. I applied for child care assistance with the state, but the one daycare I found near me, is only open mon-fri til 6. Nothing else that does 24 hours takes school age children, I have very little help from my family, and my husband's family is no help whatsoever. I'd rather have a reliable daycare center, so I know they are available. I went to sittercity, and a few others, but they either charge money to use their site, or they're not in my state. There has to be a website, there has to be a way to find someone to watch ur kids so u can work. Why is it so hard to watch kids? If I had the money to get CPR certified and all that, I'd take all the kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yea I was in the same boat as you. I found a daycare that is government funded in my area...it took some time looking online & searching through many daycare's. The one that I have now, since they are funded by the state, base what you pay off of your income. Other daycare's in my area wanted about $350 - $400/week to watch my 2 kids,,,,,not doable in my fianancial situation. Now the one they are in charges me $150/week for both the kids... Definatly not bad. Goodluck on your search. Most daycare's do not have late hours though so it is hard.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 10:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• O.P. here- Why is it so hard to watch a few kids? I'm not Kate Gosselin!!! I never thought in a million years it would be his hard to find a babysitter, and it's so expensive. If I don't work we'll be on the street. I'm so pissed off I seriously want to beat the shit out of everyone I see.
    Anonymous

• WHat about YMCA in your area, I know some have childcare until midnight
    Anonymous

• It's actually pretty cheap to get CPR certified through Red Cross. As for finding good childcare, check with a church, and possibly the local college. There may be students who need to make money. It is especially hard to find good childcare after 6pm....what hours does your husband work???

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• im sorry that youre having so much trouble, post an add in the local paper and hold interveiws, get references and make sure they are certified out....and meet all your criteria......other than that i dont know but good luck
    Anonymous

• O.P. here- The latest my husband works is 8:30-9 pm, so if I dont start work til 5, i'll only need someone a couple of hours. My husband can work early mornings, and his usual shift is 1-8:30. My job may schedule me mornings as well. The YMCA is a good idea, I'll check them out. I thought they only offered child care while you were using the facility, though? Or it's like a camp or something, but worth checking out. Thanks!!
    JfBlaine, what website did u go to, to find that? Is it one of those where u put in ur zip code and they find some close tou?
    Anonymous

• did you try www.care.com?

You may be better off contacting a local college or university with an education program and having a sitter come to your home

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Just get a stay at home business. Here's a good look at one that pays really good.

Work at Home!
    Patience654

Answer by Patience654 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009