baby led weaning?

it sounds ridiculous to me but to each their own. my son is on cereal at 3 months so obviously im not doing it im just wondering your thoughts on the BLW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Basically the theory is to let the child take the lead in when to stop bf'ing rather than imposing an arbitrary cutoff. The WHO recommends bf'ing to two years and then as far beyond as mom and baby desire. I'm not saying that it's right or comfortable for everyone, but I'm just pointing out that the idea of continuing nursing longer than what is traditional in the US has some hefty backers in the medical field.
    I also wanted to point out that it's a misconception that children who nurse longer are not on other forms of food... most older babies and toddlers who still nurse are on solids, finger foods, sippy cups, etc. just like everyone else. They just nurse as well as that. I'm not sure if you were assuming that, just the fact that you pointed out that your child is on cereal made me think that you might assume other kids who were still nursing were not on cereal as well.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My basic feeling on it is "To each their own"- it's none of my business when someone weans their child and it's none of their business when I wean my own!
    Freela

• To each their own. What others think is VERY unimportant. You only answer to the woman in your mirror.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009