Do your children have god parents?

I'm a christian and my child doesn't have god parents. If yours does why did you decide to? If yours does not why did you decide against?
If you aren't christian do you still have god parents (I honestly have no idea how this works because if you aren't christian and believe in another god different than the christian god do you practice that tradition or do only christians?)
Stupid question I'm sure. Just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oops meant to post in religion. Oh well you guys can just answer here lol
    Anonymous

• My daughter has "unofficial" godparents. We asked our friends(a married couple) and they accepted, but we have no clue how that works either! lol.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes, hubby is a traditional catholic man. when our babies are baptized, godparents are mandated to attend a class before the christening.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 10:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Now, I do know, for Catholics, at least one godparent has to be a catholic as well.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son has God parents. I like the tradition of having extended family members that my child knows he can go to with questions about faith. I believe that our faith is about a community and I feel that God parents reinforce that idea. I want my son to know that we are not alone in our Catholic faith and that he is supported not only by his parents but by his uncle and cousin (she's actually my cousin but you get the point). Of course he'll be able to address any questions of faith with me and my husband as well as his grandparents and other aunts and uncles, but having two people who we trust to specifically be there to support him in his particular faith journey is a very meaningful and powerful statement.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yeah but they suck and dont take it seriously
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A God parents responsibility is to give religion to the child. I do have a god mother for my child, even though she does not do her intended purpose, we are not very religious in our home, and do not believe in choosing the child's religion for them, that is a choice he can make when he is older if he chooses too. We believe in God, and that's all that matters. As my child's "God" mother all she does is make sure she is there for everything important, she is IMO a bigger role model than the Aunts and Uncles- with that said, My kids Aunts and Uncles are not very involved in my children's life.

Also, if anything should happen to me, The God mother will be taking my children as her own.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• "Now, I do know, for Catholics, at least one godparent has to be a catholic as well."

Actually, they both have to be Catholic, but you don't need two. You can just have a God father or just a God mother or you can do both.

-at least this is how it is at my parish.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• OP here. I was wondering because my son is already four and it seems a little too late to have god parents for him now. My ex was strongly against it and made a big fuss. Now I wish I hadn't listened to him. Is it too late? We are not catholic. We are Luthern.
    Anonymous

• We are Catholic and both my kids have 2 godparents, and they have to have had all their sacraments. And there has to be 2... I'm sorry for the ones I picked. You're supposed to pick your child's Godparents for the sole purpose of knowing that they are interested in your child recieving religious education, and the gp have to at least attempt to attend church, and care about religion. None of my kid's godparents do, and one had his sacraments but dont even believe in God, but my 2 sisters are godparents, and my cousin and my husband's cousin is too. We didn't have much of a choice. I wouldn't have heard the end of it if I didnt pick my sisters, and my husband had no one who qualified. That's why we're raising my kids, not them, I guess/.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009