Single moms: Ever date a nice man with an ill-behaved child? How do you deal?

We ended up breaking up over this; but before the end this man's child seriously hurt one of my kids. At first I thought boys will be boys and it was normal roughhousing but after literally 4-6 more incidents I realized this was anything but normal. The boys are the same age, but the man's son is literally 6" (or more) taller than my boy and DOUBLE his weight. He seems to show many ADHD traits and very little impluse control. My other son became terrified of him. When I brought up my concerns in the most gentle fashion to my then-boyfriend, he exploded. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first but soon realized he would never admit the problems. I dumped him and kept my kids away from his son. The kids are confused (oddly, they still like the kid). But I couldn't risk their well-being. BTW, this child causes trouble at school, too. Has anyone ever dealt with this? How? I'm terrified to date another single parent now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• I have a step-nephew thats like that, he terrorizes my daughter but she loves him to bits.

I think you did the right thing, I'd probably do the same.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009