Breast feeding help please!!!

I am pumping for my son who is almost a week old and I know ot isn't supposed to hurt, but it DOES. SO BAD. And my breasts just keep getting bigger and harder and more painful. I was getting a good amount of milk, the amount I needed and now when I pump it's like nothing is really coming out and I only only get a little bit of pressure/pain relief before my breasts get seriously painful again. I really want to breastfeed but it's getting so painful I nearly cry and I can't have anything touch my chest. This happened with my daughter when she was born and I just stopped breastfeeding, but my son was born early and I want to make sure he gets all the good stuff he needs from my milk... anyone know what to do or have any suggestions? Am I just doing everything wrong??

SilverAiss

Asked by SilverAiss at 10:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know anything about breastfeeding but I would like to suggest that you see a lactation consulatent.
    Anonymous

• It does hurt really bad...at first. Try taking a warm shower and let the water hit the front of you. If your baby is only a week old, your milk is still coming in so you'll be really full. Stick to it.. promise yourself to keep trying because I promise..it gets easier and less painful. Good luck!
    zetta816

Answer by zetta816 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• You might have an infection.
    Does taking a hot shower help any?
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• when i was pumping for my son, i noticed that it was never as effective as actually nursing. when he nursed, my boobs would get softer and the pressure and pain would go away, but pumping would never fully relieve it. if it did, it would take a good half hour or more of pumping to equal what he could do in 10 mins. i'd say, nurse whenever possible and only pump when needed.
    Anonymous

• You're not doing anything wrong! Best advice I got was to take it one feeding at a time, and to hang in there! I was in excruciating pain in the beginning myself. I bought the lansinoh nipple cream from CVS, and the mother's love nipple cream from whole foods, caked it on to myself in between feedings, and took advil/tylenol. That took some time to help....so in the mean time, I continued to pump regularly and when the pain was unbearable, I broke and gave my little guy the pumped milk in a bottle. I went through about 6 weeks of difficult times....but now my little guy is almost 4 months old, and breastfeeding is honestly like second nature. I really empathize with the pain you are going through, but it will honestly get much easier. In the beginning your milk supply is building up, so when you pump you may be getting very little. Once your supply is established, you will begin to pump more and more milk. Good luck:)
    DanielleDominic

Answer by DanielleDominic at 11:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There's a lot to go over here and this is a really bad forum for it because of the limitation in characters. Can you please stop by the breastfeeding moms group? We can help you over there.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The first two weeks are BRUTAL!!!! I didn't even have a pump when I was engorged, but I think I adjusted to her feeding schedule pretty quick. What pump do you have? I would HIGHLY recommend Medela... I tried others but nothing came close to how good the Medela pump is (electric). You can get heating pads (designed for your breasts) that you can zap in the microwave- those really helped. I don't mean to scare you but I even had to use nipple cream from Motherlove because they started to bleed. They healed within a few days though. Pump frequently... are you feeling a let down? Do you have swollen milk ducts? Those are lumps from clogged milk ducts... the best way to get rid of them is to breastfeed and massage them down... I was really scared when I first got one... I was actually so scared that I cried. But don't worry! It gets easier and much better!! PM me if you have any questions :)

GOOD LUCK N HANG IN THERE!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I would post this in BF group too... you'll be surprised at how much help you get. And try to contact your local Le Leche League! They do wonders!!!!! My daughter wouldn't take a bottle- and still hasn't to this day, but they helped me work things out. My daughter is nine months now... good luck and congrats!!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Get you a lactation consultant. It really shouldn't hurt....no one told me why it did when I tried. Please see a LC...you can overcome this.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It can really hurt during the first few weeks, it will get better. I would advice you to see a lactation consultant and joining a breastfeeding group here on CM. Hang in there..it will get better!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009