What do you think of this idea?

My step son is 13 and has become very difficult to shop for. He only likes certain things, and the last few years everything I have bought for him has gone unused. So last year for Christmas I decided to just give him cash for a present, that way he could pick out and buy what he wanted. I didn't want him just sitting there while his younger brothers opened up all their gifts, though, so I gave him all $1 bills, all folded into little squares and individually wrapped. It took him nearly two hours to unwrap and unfold all the money.

So for this Christmas I am thinking about just getting him a Visa Gift Card, but again I don't want him to be just sitting there while his brothers unwrap their gifts. So I want to put together a Telephone Scavenger Hunt for him. The basic idea is that he will open one present, and inside find a note telling him to call Grandma. Grandma will then tell him to look in the oven where he will find...

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Another note with his cousin's phone number on it. She will send him somewhere else where he will find another phone number... eventually the last person will tell him that his present is in his father's pocket, and that's where he will find the gift card. This way he stays occupied while my younger two are busy opening their stuff, plus he has to call and say Merry Christmas to the whole family.

What do you ladies think? Is this a good idea?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• That is a cool idea!!! You can also, put the gift card in a couple of different sized boxes that are all wrapped individually.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think thats a good idea. You're a fun stepmom!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• oh thats cute! i love it, and it does make sure he calls the whole family and says hi etc to them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I love that idea!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I love this!!! What a great way to make him feel special! I wish my step-mom would have done something like that for me!!!
    griffismommy

Answer by griffismommy at 11:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• excellent idea!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• That is a really fantastic and thoughtful idea. He is lucky to have you and one day will appreciate the thought you put into making sure he has a special time.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• omg that is so much fun!! I love that idea.. i never even thought of a phone hunt lol... we have done the notes and clues around the house, but to get the whole family involved would not only be fun, but make it really special for him!! GO YOU!!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Very cute! I would have loved that if I were 13! Good way of making a gift card personal! :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2009