birthcontrol; breastfeeding and DUB

I have dysfunctional uterine bleeding that I have been taking birth control pills for since I was 13 years old; I am now 23. I was told that the only time I could stop taking the bc was when I was ready to have kids. I had my first child in may of this year and at the end of June was my 6 week pp appointment. At that time I was given a script for the bc pills to tend to my medical condition but since starting the pills I have been unable to breast feed and have started my period, I contacted my doctor and asked what I should do since my medical insurance through the state will not cover the type of medication that I need to take care of my medical condition. My dr office's response was " we can not tell you to take or not to take the medication". I was wondering if anyone has had an issue similar to this and what they did to cope with the DUB and inability to breastfeed all of a sudden.

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 11:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Health

• how bad is the bleeding?? Esp while bf?? if it's just like having your period I'd just deal with it... breast feeding is so healthy for you and the baby... DUB patients have higher incidents of uterine cancers you'll cancel that increased risk if you bf for more then 12 months... you need to do a risk benefit analysis and weight your options ...also try planned parenthood they give out BCP free I'm not sure if progestin only is an option with them but its worth a visit to find out... ok last thing progestin only pills have a high failure rate VERY HIGH and they can slow the production of bm as well.... but other BCP will stop it ) bm production) completely
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• With my DUB I have a heavier flow that lasts for 5-7 days with clots the size of silver dollars; intense pain and usually twice a month. Its not really something that can be left to run its course.
    mothergibson

Answer by mothergibson at 11:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Some birth control will prevent you from producing breast milk. Try to see if you can switch to a low hormone type or an IUD.
    Verarose

Answer by Verarose at 11:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• yes but see what happens while you are breastfeeding... it may no be that bad... you have special hormones running through you that you dont normally have... I also came back to mention 2 things I checked out in an online medical thing I'm scribed to...1) it recommends taking aleve 1 tab every 12 hours from the time your period starts to the end of it-- although NSAID usually increase bleeding not so in DUB it has the opposite effect b/c they are PGL inhibitors
    also Mirenia (the new IUD) has been shown to work in DUB
    lastly keep in mind that uterine cancer is a death sentance- 60% of the time- the benefit of your breastfeeding may (even with pain) out weigh the negative
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2009