3 1/2 month old completely refusing bottles

My 3 1/2 month old has been refusing all bottles for the past month. He used to take them early on; however, now he only wants to nurse. I try giving him bottles with pumped milk and he screams/spits it out. Suggestions?

DanielleDominic

Asked by DanielleDominic at 11:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YIPPY SMART BABY!!
    here's an idea if this is because you need to go to work or get out to gain some sanity...leave the house and have someone else feed him a botttle of expressed breastmilk... like your dh or your mom but you leave go get your nails done or something like that
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Mel is right. Best way to get baby to take a bottle? Hand him to someone else and exit, stage right. Or left...wherever the door happens to be!

Babies are smart. Think of the bottle as a plate of stale storebought cookies. Your milk straight from the tap? Fresh baked cookies right out of the oven. You'd think someone was nuts to make you eat the stale cookies while waving the fresh ones under your nose.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ooooh man do I know how you feel!! My DD is 4 months and still can't take a bottle!! She wants to but just can't seem to latch-- she drinks it from a cup and loves it!

I hope to be able to pass what I've learned onto you.

First question- does he want to take it or does he immediately get mad at it?? Or does he want it but just can't seem to figure it out.

-Are you introducing it in a way that he can become familiar with it?? i.e. don't force it or just put it in his mouth. Let him taste the milk from the tip a little and put it on his lips and then pull it away and then bring it back

-Are other people holding him and feeding him- or are you? Put him in his carseat, or swing and try having someone feed him (and even feeding him from behind so that he doesn't see them-- or anyone for that matter. They can also try walking with him and giving him the bottle. Set him sitting on someones lap facing away from them.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• (I ran out of room)

Try all the different bottles and nipples! Playtex is good because it has the liner (you can pulse the milk bag in a way that he nurses)

If all else fails, there are several ways to feed him. A spoon, a medicine dropper, a dental syringe... does he take a pacifier? If so try that brand.

It's going to take some time!! If he gets extremely frustrated then feed him. If he's frustrated right away, then try to walk with him or comfort him so he calms down and then try again.

Try feeding him with a bottle right before he wakes up fully. Or even if he's sleeping (for some reason they can suck better! and they don't know what they're sucking :) )

Don't wait till he's crying to feed him. If you feed him every 2 hours try giving him a bottle 30 minutes after you feed him or even an hour after. He'll be more willing to explore something new than to try to figure out how to get milk when he's starving
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My husband and my mom have tried to give him the bottle while I am in a completely different part of the house..still no use..the longest we've let him go hungry while trying to get him to take the bottle is 2 hours ;-( I guess breast feeding is going a little too well for us. I don't mind it right now..but I will have to go back to work in the near future.
    DanielleDominic

Answer by DanielleDominic at 11:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• -- My daughter is now 9 months. I copied and pasted that from one of my previous answers... I almost forgot about how hard it was!! I ended up just using a cup, and it worked really really well :) My little one never took a bottle... well she did at the very beginning, but only a few times.
    IT GETS EASIER!!! Just be patient because it takes time. I hope it helped! U can PM me if you have anymore questions or problems-- trust me... I've been there!! :)

GOOD LUCK!!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thank you so much to everyone who has responded so quickly.....TBEAR..he gets mad right away..we will have to try the cup idea and while he is sleeping....I know the nipples aren't the problem because he took them from 3 weeks old until a month ago....
    DanielleDominic

Answer by DanielleDominic at 11:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• ok well I wouldn't try for 2 hours straight- he probably gets really frustrated? That's what happened to my DD... When are you planning on going back to work? If its not for a few months then you can give him cereal and baby food during the day, and nurse at night. That's what I've been doing and it's been working great. Have you tried a cup? Or a spoon? Those are what worked the best for me. She actually latched onto a bottle- it was the playtex one and my mom would squeeze the bag so that it would pulse like she was nursing. I'm not sure what happened to that, I can't remember why we didn't use the bottle. If you just want to be able to get out for a bit, try feeding him before you leave and that way it gives you at least two hours before you have to be back.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I remember reading people's posts who had gone through similar problems... How often did you give him the bottle? Was it regularly? Because if not, that could be a leading factor in why he's not taking it now. My daughter got really mad anytime she saw it too. You're only suppose to try the bottle at the most once a day, but preferably 2-3 days apart. Otherwise they get too overwhelmed and way too frustrated. Let me know how it works out! I hope it all goes well!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009