• In the Spotlight:

can it be spread to the baby?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and very nervous about giving birth. I have herpes and I have heard that it can be spread to the baby during birth.

Is this true? and if so, are there ways of preventing the baby from acquiring the infection and still delivering vaginally? Is it better to have a c-section? What effects can contracting the disease at birth have on my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to talk to your dr. I think you can pass it on (it is contagious). A c-section may be suggested as a way to avoid passing it on.
    Anonymous

• I could be wrong but I thought that if you have herpes they will automatically do a c-section? I'm not positive about this but that is what I've heard.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If you have active hereps leisions in the delivery room you will get a csection if no leisions your ok... dont worry they'll check -- as for electively doing it you need to sit back and weight the risks and benefits
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• that is something you need to ask your doctor, i have hpv and i am also preg. i asked my doc and he said it is possible that the baby will be born with it. i'm pretty sure that goes for any std.
    Anonymous

• If you have a break out at the time of delivery you will get a c-section, if you are not broken out you can deliver naturally, it cannot pass to the baby if you are not broken out, nor can the baby be born with it, the only way for the baby to contract it, is if you have a breakout and you deliver vaginally, but don't worry they will exam you well, I am going through the same thing, and was very worried, but I have done my research, and talked with my doctors, and I feel alot better than I did. They also put me on a pill that prevents breakouts, now while I don't have the virus, my partner does, I get checked once and year and we practice safe sex, as safe as we can, there are steps you can take to protect your little one, do some research and talk with your doctors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009