Why do mutts cost just as much as some of the purebred puppies?

Don't get me wrong I LOVE mutts, but why do they cost so much all of a sudden? When I was younger mutts were usually given away for free and now the pet stores want $450-$600. Can anybody explain this to me?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 11:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The ones you see in pet stores are "designer breeds" such as yorkipoos, cockerpoos..they're not real breeds, same with the teacup breeds. However, people think they can make money on them because it's a special breed (in their mind) and most people don't realize that they're just mutts.
    Selena

Answer by Selena at 12:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That is just crazy!!!! You would probably do better to adopt from the shelter.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well around here, you can find them for free in the paper and at flea markets and such ALL THE TIME. But some places (like shelters and such) cost so much cause the dogs already come fixed, de-wormed, micro-chipped and with all their shots, licenses, etc. That stuff ADDS UP! And it's worth it to have it all done when you buy the dog, then you know it's done and you dont have to deal with it.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

we thought that too but they raised there prices there too. dogs run between 85 and 400 at our local human society it used to be 65 for dogs regardless of breed ...and even the local papers have advertised pups with price of 100 on up even if their dog accidentally got pregnant and dont know what the "daddy" is.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The shelters around here rarely have smaller breeds, at least that's what they told me. We need a small dog and I would like it to be a puppy so I know it's raised well and raised with children. These puppies sell soo fast too! I suppose I'm just going to have to eat the price, but ugh!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Shelters are better. They fix the dog and give it all it's shots for a lot less than what it would cost to have it done at your vet's office. If you are not picky about a specific breed, I would get a dog from a shelter.

We got our dog for free from a friend (Australian Shepard, not mutt) and after shopping around for a good price, we ended up paying hundreds to get everything done.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009