• In the Spotlight:

Cry it out (how long)

My son has pretty much always just gone right to sleep since 5 months old, but every once in a while, after reading and going through our routine, he'll fuss and sometimes cry for about five minutes. If he cries for any longer I always go back in there to console him, and if I need to, pick him up and rock him for however long it takes.

I really don't understand how people wait 15-30mins for their baby to go to sleep. Is this really better for the baby, instead of going back and getting them after a few minutes if their fussing turns into full blown tears?

ours

Asked by ours at 11:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would anyone let anyone but especially a baby CIO? This post is your conscious telling you IT IS WRONG-- and what does spoiled mean?? if you tend to their every whim they'll be spoiled??? what does that mean?? it is rediculous ... do to your kid now what you want them to do to you when youre 90 and youre the one crying... in 5 years of FT NICU and now still PRN work I have never let my babies or anyone elses CIO
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• They say its better... helps them console their self ( i believe)... but I never did. I would always go back in and pat DS 's little back or either just pick him up and rock him back to sleep. DS is 3 years old and sleeps just fine now.... he does like to come up with excuses to get out of bed, but once he does go to sleep he sleeps all night and has done that for a long time now. =)
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I always take my daughter on a walk to get her to go to sleep- she's nine months now... she wakes up once in the middle of the night to eat or sometimes she fusses for a few minutes and falls right back asleep. She's slept through the whole night a total of 5 times... I tried the whole lay her down and let her cry for a few minutes and it worked out well, because she would fall asleep within seconds of laying down in her crib. Then she started to teeth, so it was harder for her to sleep, and I felt bad if she cried cried... not a little fuss. So that's when I started walking her in her stroller again. :)
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The only reason I won't immediately run back in there is because he'll be fine for a minute and then start fussing because mommy left, even though he's obviously tired. After fussing, and maybe crying for a few minutes, I'll walk back in there and he's passed out and was just fighting it. I don't see anything wrong with that. Besides I always go in there if it's been more than a few minutes and I can tell he just won't go to sleep without me rocking him for just a little while longer.

I'm just saying, mom's who wait longer, does it eventually get better? Are they crying the whole time? Have you ever thought of trying something different?
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• CIO advocates say not to do it before six months.

I didn't find that it made mine sleep. He stayed up LONGER.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." It will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Such a debate. I totally did the cry it out thing and my son stopped at 20 minutes every time for about ten days and I NEVER had an issue again. He's a perfectly normal kid!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I was always in there when she started crying until she was about 8 mos old. After that, she knew what to expect and would cry to get me in there!!! I go in if she sounds HURT, but just crying..... it's a game! I should have stopped at 6 mos when she would laugh after I came in to check on her and lay back down in her crib. But can't go back!!!
    When baby gets bigger, see how she reacts then make your decision. Right now you have an easy 5mo old and need to get them every time they cry!!!! It changes drastically from that....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• DD never cares about the CIO thing. she will cry for the rest of the night until she gets her way. demanding little one she is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2009