Do you let your children play out in the street?

If so, do you have an age/time limit for when they can play out there and a curfew?
I started letting my son play in the street when he met some boys that moved in 2 houses down(he was 8). Before that there were nothing but girls on this street. I don't stand out there the whole time anymore but I have a giant livingroom window and I check on him every 5 to 10 minutes. I let him play anywhere from 1-3 hours in the summertime and schooldays after homework for about 1/2-1 hour. Do you think this is ok?

Mamasita98

Asked by Mamasita98 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This is just my opinion: I think it all depends on where you live (rural or city), how old your kid is and how busy your street, road, drive and/or cual-de-sac is. Our family has lived anywhere from Avenue's that are a continuously flowing with traffic all the way down to an extremely remote peice of property where it's the wild life, not the traffic, that you're worried about . Kids need their independence, and they especially need to experience all the things we as parents did when we were kids (with, of course, limits). Otherwise they're going to revolt one day and resent you as their parent. They need to learn how to gain confidence out there - it makes them feel good about themselves - otherwise they're introverted, shy, "i can't" attitude, stuck in the house with their mom yelling at them for even farting! Stern, strict, boundaries = yeah! But not, "oh my god, you can't! you're gonna hurt yourself!" attitude.
    itsmesusanc

Answer by itsmesusanc at 5:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Do you mean like on the actual road or in the other neighbor kids yards????
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Hell to the NO.
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 11:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think it's fine. I'm assuming you mean around the neighborhood when you say "street", right? My little boy is 8 1/2 and I wish we had children his age around here so he could have a little more independence and play alone with his friends.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• ^^^^^^^^ I MEANT I DON'T LET ME 2 YEAR OLD PLAY IN THE STREET
    LOL
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 11:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Actually I mean in front of my house all the way to the cul-de-sac (3 houses length) and no he is not allowed in there yard or to go into anyoens house. There is no traffic, it is a narrow cul-de-sac oh and I only let him play with them because I have gotten to know them and the parents and they are good kids. They don't go around throwing trash on the street or disrespecting ppls property.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• my dd is too young, when she is old enough to be out by herself i'll let her. i hope by then we live in a court, when i was younger, we lived in a court and we just weren't allowed past the last mailbox since people use them to pull uturns that gave the people time to see us and us time to get out of the way. if we don't have that luxury i'll make sure they know to watch for cars and get out of the street when cars come (only in the street for riding bikes as well no just in the street b/c they want to be, anything other than bike riding can be done in yards)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No, my street out front is pretty busy and some of the cars go whipping down it way too fast. My youngest isn't even allowed in the front yard yet since it's not fully fenced and I don't trust him to stay in the yard. My older boys do play in the front yard, but we have no kids on our street.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No! But my neighbors kids are in the street all the time. I think there crazy we got cars speeding up and down the street all day long.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 12:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009