Would you move to another state?

My husband is getting layed off from his job as of Aug 22, he has 3 options, take the 180 day lay off,take termination with with a severance pay, OR trasfer to a diff terminal in another state, We are in MO, he has the option to transfer to Arizona, I do not think I am not ok with moving to another state. I have lived here my whole life. My entire family is here, I am the oldest of 7 & am 32 years old. I ma very close to my entire family & extended family & in laws. We have 3 kids, & I just dont know what to do. He is pushing to move, he is not close to his family.
I am just so lost & confused,
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• "take the 180 day lay off" - does that mean that after 180 days, he will go back to work? Do they guarentee (sp, sorry) that he will go back to work at that point? Can you survive on unemployment, and would he get enough to last that 180 days? If so, I'd say try to stick it out and maybe he can get a part time job or you can to supplement income. If there is no promise he will go back to work, then you need to look at what kind of job options he will have where you are now. If there are no jobs, as much as you might hate to move, you might have to. Feeding your kids and putting a roof over your family's head has to be more important than being close to family, although I don't discount the importance of the extended family. But unless that family is going to provide for your family, you have to do whatever is necessary to make sure your family has what it needs. Even if you have to move.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would move. But it's easy for me to answer this because I joined the Navy right out of high school and haven't lived near my family since. My husband also joined the Navy and moved away from his family. We currently live on the completely opposite side of the country as his family. We see our families a couple times a year. They visit us or we visit them. Sometimes we meet up somewhere together. Like next February, I'll take our daughter to my aunt's where my mom and grandma are going to meet up with us. We email and talk on the phone often, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• What are the chances of him being able to find another job where you are? Can you live on unemployment? Is that extended family willing/able to help you out should you really need it?

I'll tell you this. When I was eight, my dad quit working for his older brother (they'd been fighting a LOT) and moved 3000 miles across the country. Changed our lives completely...and completely to the good.

We did have some of the extended family follow us because they saw opportunity where we were going.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• If he can't find another job in your area with the same pay and benefits, I would move. It's nice to be next to family but it's better to be on your own two feet. Move away for a little bit and then in time i'm sure that he can find a job in mo.
    Anonymous

• noway! honey he is not close to his family but YOU ARE! Have him look around more I would last resort move but first of all PRAY and only move if YOU are both led! Go to church also get some reources try snagajob.com
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• a rolling stone gathers no moss! Stay with your mama let him commute maybe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think growing up in a large support system is great for the kids too. I love the Waltons!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• well i would move me and my S/O almost had to move a month ago to another state amd at first it was hard for me to decide bc i am very close to my family and he isnt really close to his so it wasnt that hard for him to be ok with moving but i was ok and then we ended up not havign to move

alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 2:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009