my daughter's nanny was rear ended with minor damage. Our carseat was sitting loose in the way back. Do I need to replace the carseat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• What do you mean by sitting loose?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i actually accidentally rear ended someone the other day very minor damage (foot slipped off brake and hit them) anyways, both my car seats were installed in my car, i asked the insurance company when i called about it and they said it was fine, its if the cars are going a certain speed. but if the car seat wasn't even installed at the time i don't see if being a problem
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• YES you NEED to replace the seat. The insurance company should pay to do that. You may have to buy it now, but they have to pay you back.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes. You are supposed to replace a carseat anytime it is in any accident, minor or otherwise. There can be small cracks that you can't see which will make the seat less safe. Always, better safe than sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The manual for most car seats expressly says if you are in a wreck then you will need to replace the car seat. I'm not sure if that applies if the car seat is not buckled in, but why take the chance? You can get a used one from a thrift store for about $10 until you can afford to get a new one, if you can't afford one immediately.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Why buy one at a thrift store if you don't know what it's been thru? It could've gone thru an accident as well. I wouldn't replace it. I'm sure it would be fine. I've never heard of an insurance company replacing a car seat-and I've been in four accidents.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think for it being not occupied and if the car could be easily (just cosmetic damage) then no...you don't have to replace.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Call a carseat tech and find out. Maybe google it even.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• ANY accident means the seat has to be replaced. File the claim with the insurance company of the person responsible.

Do NOT get one from a thrift store. It's probably there because of the same reason you need to get rid of yours.

OH, and it's dangerous to have a carseat or booster loose in a vehicle. In a more serious crash, it becomes a projectile.

You need to replace the seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• get a new one. even if its for peace of mind.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2009