Does chicken pox take awhile to show up?

I have not had chicken pox's and hubby came home with shingle's how soon would I know if I got chicken pox's from his shingle's? Any pointer's on how to take care of him? I know something's but.. not everthing I am Sure.

mandyandthree

Asked by mandyandthree at 12:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Health

• Incubation can be as long as 21 days. If you are helping apply medications you should wear gloves and handwash thoroughly each time. The rest is pretty much common sense.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 14-21 days is common incubation for CP, but you are contagious before you show signs so you could have been exposed before the shingles came out in DH. Personally if you haven't had CP then I would NOT be helping apply meds unless absolutely necessary (areas he can't reach). I just wouldn't want to take the chance because CP as an adult is terrible. Where did he get the shingles? You may have been exposed at the same time as him too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• chicken pox is a form of the herpes virus, shingles are chickenpox in adults. usually occur in adults 50-60 years old, as immune systems weaken. the chicken pox virus hides out in a nerve root. when it becomes active, follows the nerve root creating rows of blisters in a band that are said to resemble shingles.
    You cant catch shingles. you can only catch chickenpox if you havent had it before. you always have the chicken pox virus in your system. you just build up a immunity to it.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 2:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2009