cold sores?

ok i've always had cold sores, my daughter is 3 1/2 and never has gotten them, even when i've had them and forgotten and given her a kiss or whatever. so my question is, when a child gets their first one, what does it look like? i know sounds stupid since i get at least 3 a year, but she has a small scab on the outer corner of her lip and i think its one, but i've heard the first one usually comes w/fevers, and are larger than normal ones. so i'm wondering if she just hurt herself and i didn't notice.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 12:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will probably look much like your own. Sometimes they can be multiple sores. At times they are inside the mouth on the buccal mucosa(inside of the cheek) Children often run fevers with first exposure. For her sake I hope that it is her first exposure. Most children are exposed by the time they are 5. However, it isn't uncommon to find adults with primary exposure and I can tell you it is far more severe and painful. My husband had a primary exposure at 35. His entire mouth was covered in blisters, including his tongue. The older you get the more harsh the reaction.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Cold sores are the herpes virus, she would have to be exposed to the virus in order to get it. Just being born to you doesn't expose her to the virus, it's not hereditary. Even women with genital herpes cannot infect their babies during child-birth unless they have an outbreak or "shedding" during childbirth.

You must be VERY careful to wash your hands when you have a cold-sore outbreak. Herpes is VERY contagious and just like I am sure you wish you never got them, you do not want to give them to your children. Do not kiss your child at all when you have an outbreak.

There are prescription medicines that prevent and minimize outbreaks. You can take a daily, or as needed medication such as Acyclovir, or Valtrex, when you start to feel the cold sore tingle before the outbreak, and there is a topical cream called Denavir, which you use at the start of the tingle, or during an outbreak to minimize your child's exposure
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If she has a scab on her lip, then she would have already had the outbreak. A cold sore starts like any other herpes outbreak...it tingles/itches in the affected area, then redness occurs, then a small pimple-like lesion appears. Popping the lesion makes the outbreak worse. Best to use something topical like Denavir as soon as you start feeling the tingle, or as soon as you realize you're getting an outbreak.

Ask your daughter's pediatrician if she can get a blood test for the Herpes virus, and ask what the symptoms of a cold-sore are in a child, and what the appropriate medical procedure should be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• FWIW, a cold-sore on the mouth can be transferred to the genitals by a child. If a child has a cold sore, he/she is not disciplined enough to keep their hands clear of the area, and to wash thoroughly often. It is not unheard of for a child to give themselves genital herpes by touching themselves (innocently like children do all the time) after touching their infected cold-sore area.

What does her doctor say?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Since you get them so often have you spoken with your doctor about some sort of medication?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes Herpes is very contagious!! It is easily passed to the genital area even if your hands are washed. A friend of mine had them on her lips and even after washing her hands she somehow managed to spread it to her genital area. I have asked my doc about this and he said that you have to wash your hands for a least 1min in warm water and dry your hands well.
    I hate the herpes virus!! Its so horrible.
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i have the cold sore issue to my dd hasnt gotten form me yet but i keep abreva on hand when ever i get a break out and if she starts to get it then i'll use the same meds on her.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i have a prescription for valtrex, however i do not take it daily i take it when i feel an outbreak coming, and it doesn't always prevent the outbreak depending on how bad it is. as for what her doctor says, she has her appointment tomorrow to be seen for it, b/c i really am not sure what it is, it doesn't look like a cold sore at all, not like any i've ever had or seen (and there are 5 kids in my family, 4 of us get them so i've seen plenty). and i know all the things to do to prevent spreading them, i do all these things, however it is still possible to spread it at the end of one when its healing, and that is usually when i end up forgetting i have one at all, but i haven't had one in about a year now, so i don't know where she would have gotten one from if not from me. i'm thinking she probably just bit her lip or ran into a wall or who knows what, she is 3 so who knows.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009