Potty issue, how do I handle it???

My 2 year old is trying to drive me crazy :-) We have been working on potty training latley so she is wearing pull-ups. It's hot in our house so I put her to sleep with only a pull-up she takes it off. I have walked in twice to a poop covered bedroom. I put pants, shorts, underwear, over her pull-up, she has learned to take them off!!! I have been doing potty training for about 3 weeks, she finally went this morning. But I have heard that if they wake up with a dry diaper and they are taking them off that means they are ready to potty train, so is mine defective?? Can I get a replacement?? Just kidding. But seriously, she will sit on the potty for 15 minutes, put on a pull up and within minutes, go in her pants!! I know it's not easy but from what I have heard she is sending signals she is ready, but it feels like she is fighting me!!! Please help!!!

Jessica517

Asked by Jessica517 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know. I think it's too soon but I did wait with my kids to avoid exactly those kinds of frustrations. It's tough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• She's not fighting you. But she COULD be doing it for the attention. "Wow. Mommy yells and looks silly when I poop everywhere." kinda thing. Keep reactions minimal. When you do react, a simple "Oh no! What a big mess. If only you had gone in the potty." should do. Get pull ups or underwear she likes. The best ready signal is her interest. My DD usually wakes up dry and has since way before 1 yr. But it didn't mean she was ready to be potty trained. She always woke up to pee, but it hasn't gone much further than that. Just keep up the encouragement and praise when she does it. Talk about it positively when you can. Show her books or shows about how fun it is to potty. Let her see you potty. My DD likes to get the toilet paper for me. Get her a seat cover she'll like and make sure it's soft and comfortable. Perhaps the star chart would work -I'm considering it for the near future. Don't push if she's not happy with it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My daughter and I struggled for over a year with potty training. Finally, one day she was just ready. She started going by herself and telling me after! That wasn't until a few months ago and she's almost 4yrs old. There is no reason to rush. I know it sucks now. Keep talking to her. She has recently only had 2 wet accidents, but still has alot of poop accidents. (Hey, it's cheaper than pullups.) Don't use pullups unless your out of the house or it's night time. Make sure first thing in the am you make her sit on the potty with juice or water and put her underwear on after. To at least get her in the habit. I don't understand. My daughter will go hide in the closet if she has to poop. Why the heck can't she just go in the bathroom LOL. Just keep trying. Is she in daycare? Sometimes they help a lot.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• try putting a zip up sleeper on her backwards,and put the potty chair in a comfortable room for her like her room or a hallway.dont worry my daughter did it to
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 4:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• take the pulls up away and just do panties. You'll still have the messes for a bit, but chances are daughter will not like the way it feels and be more willing to use the potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with the post above...sorry but I do not believe in pull-ups. They are just a glorified diaper that costs twice as much. Stick with the thick cotton panties for training. The fact she is taking the diaper off is a great sign she may be ready to start...just don't force it at this point. You want her to have some accidents so she knows that feeling is yucky. As for nap time...we went through this too...you will have to get a few jumpers that she can not get off. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• From my experience pull-ups just delay the whole process. I say don't even use the pull-ups, just use underwear, they will feel the wet more in those and not like it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Your child is just not ready. Mine was reading and tying her shoes before she was out of diapers

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009