we have two 18 yr kids that will be seniors this year. We insit that they have to fallow rules at our house. As long as they are in high school. Are we wrong for having rules for our 18yr old kids?

we have two 18 yr kids that will be seniors in high school this year. We insist that they have to fallow rules at our house. And of course we're getting the whole "we're 18 we're adults". Are we wrong for having rules for our 18yr old kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• No, your house your rules, I think that's very smart
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• not wrong.
    but you should limit those rules. or your kids will go buck wild. trust.
    Mrs.Loeffel

Answer by Mrs.Loeffel at 12:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• if theyre living in your house, they should follow certain rules. but i dont think you should be giving them 10 o clock curfews, theyre probably a little too old for that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No, they are not adult's yet and need you to guide them and protect them. I'm not saying go all crazy of them but kids NEED rules. Way to many paretns think they need to be their kids best friend and forget it is our job to raise them right. Once they are adults you can be "friends" and much better friends for it I"m sure!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's important they feel comfortable enough to come to you with issues but they shouldn't forget you are the parent (if that makes sense?)
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• no
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No hun not at all. in my oponion It is your home although they are 18 they still need to respect you rules. Most teens sometimes get in in there head that once there 18 there practically invincible against rules and laws. little do they know once you an adult there are so much more.

=] lol Irronically im 18 also.
    Emo_mommy

Answer by Emo_mommy at 1:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• the curfew is 10pm during the school week and 11pm on the weekends( that's the city curfew for all students in highschool) we've decieded to abide by that law. The other rules are basically cleaning up after themselves, dishes 2wce a week. I'm also going to insist that they help me with making supper once or twice a week~so that when they do leave the house, they'll have some ideal on how to cook for themselves~ Their also going to be required to learn how to budget money. I was 18 once and I wish my mother would have taught me some of those things before i graduated and left home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Of course they follow house rules.The chores were because they are part of the family not guests.The curfew should be reasonable for both-a perfect compromise is where neither party gets exactly what they want but they both can be happy with.After freshman year in college there was no curfew but they were expected to tellme a return time and keep it.I explained it was not out of an urge to treat them like they were12 but we were their parents and cared and loved them.So for the "adult now" attitude we xplained they were sort of starter adults that still wanted help with college fees,we pay for their car etc. and that there is a trade off with that we also still get to parent much less than before but still parent.and last when things got a bit heated I would tell them sure you run my house, tellus how it is going tobe but when you are 35 we are going to come over and take over your house.Only fair.This has worked great...cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• cont....our oldest is 24 grad from college great job,happy lives on his own.right now he is a bit far but calls a couple or three times a week.My next is a jr. in college also doing great our lastor still in high and middle school.At the end of my oldest soph. year he told me that Idid things right and to never listen to teenager they're just trying to get one over parents.I think he was a little harsh but mostly right.They just got to try--good luck pray and keep fingers crossed so far it has worked for us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Rules are always needed in a home.
    dbrooks91

Answer by dbrooks91 at 4:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009