For Those Who Believe In Hell: What is Hell and is Hell Eternal?

I am very suprised at all of the different views of hell I've learned from different believers in recent years. I am wondering what your individial thoughts are. I'm interested in hearing your Biblical references as well as any theologians that held/hold similar beliefs that you're aware of.

I would ask that people don't tell other posters they're "wrong" or start a debate. I want people to be able to share their honest beliefs without worrying about being attacked.

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 1:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe hell is a real place that Jesus talked about often. The Bible describes it as:
    --outer darkness (Matthew 25:30)
    --weeping (Matthew 8:12)
    --wailing (Matthew 13:42)
    --gnashing of teeth (Matthew 13:50)
    --flames (Luke 16:24)
    --everlasting fire (Matthew 25:46)
    --a furnace of fire (Matthew 13:42)
    --separation from the righteous (Matthew 25:46)
    --eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord (2 Thessalonians 1:9)
    --torment (Luke 16:23)
    --everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46)
    --and as the lake of fire burning with brimstone (Revelation 19:20)

All but two of those descriptions come straight from the mouth of Jesus. Hell is a place that God created for the enemy, Satan and his fallen angels. God will not send anyone there who recieves Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes I believe in heaven and hell and hell IS eternal. I read a book 20 minutes in hell or 30 minutes in hell or something like that and it had a pretty descriptive explanation for hell. (I think the play on words was taken from the book "90 minutes in Heaven" which was an AWESOME book!
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my thoughts on it would be that hell is like a place that everything you want you cant get. i might not make that much since, but what i am trying to say is, well... say that in life whatever it is you put before the lord you will never be able to reach in hell. kinda like those dreams when your running through a hallway but you can never seem to reach the end. this is just a random example but say that you alway put beauty before God, in hell you will never be able to reach that beauty. i dont know if anyone knows what i am trying to say, but thats what i believe. alot of people think its some place that you will "burn forever" i'm not saying its all fun and games but i dont believe that it is physical torture. and please no bashing my way of thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thats interesting and I totally get what your saying. I believe that is probably part of it. I do believe though (and I'm not bashing!!) that it entails a lot of physical torture. It says that through out the bible. But I love your thought, got me thinking! :)
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Hell is as real as Heaven and Satan is as real as God/Jesus.
    Those that follow the ways of Jesus and accept Him as their personal Savior will have their place in Heaven for all eternity and them that do not believe and follow the ways of our Father in Heaven will be cast into hell after the great judgement for all ETERNITY where the fire will never be quenched and the worm will eat you FOR EVER...that means all eternity.
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 1:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• All I know from what the Bible says and what other people say that have been to hell, I really don't want to end up in there.

But why is so hard to live by the Bible sometimes, it seems so easy just follow the basic rules but yet it's so hard sometimes.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I forgot to add the scripture that you said you wanted.
    There are many places in the Bible that talks about hell; but, since right now I am reading the book of Revelation....here are these ones.
    rev. 19:20
    rev. 20:10...14....20
    rev. 21:8
    Hell is for ever just as Heaven is for ever....all eternity
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 2:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It is interesting that a much higher percentage of people believe in the existence of heaven than believe in the existence of hell. According to the Bible, though, hell is just as real as heaven. The Bible clearly and explicitly teaches that hell is a real place to which the wicked/unbelieving are sent after death. We have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23). The just punishment for that sin is death (Romans 6:23 Since all of our sin is ultimately against God (Psalm 51:4, and since God is an infinite and eternal Being, the punishment for sin, death, must also be infinite and eternal. Hell is this infinite and eternal death which we have earned because of our sin.
    The punishment of the wicked dead in hell is described throughout Scripture as “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41), “unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:12), “shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2 a place where “the fire is not quenched (Mark 9:44-49)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• a place of“torment and “fireLuke 16:23-24, “everlasting destruction2 Thessalonians 1:9, a place where “the smoke of torment rises forever and eve (Revelation 14:10-11, and a “lake of burning sulfur” where the wicked are “tormented day and night forever and ever Revelation 20:10
    The punishment of the wicked in hell is as never ending as the bliss of the righteous in heaven. Jesus Himself indicates that punishment in hell is just as everlasting as life in heave (Matthew 25:46. The wicked are forever subject to the fury and the wrath of God. Those in hell will acknowledge the perfect justice of God Psalm 76:10. Those who are in hell will know that their punishment is just and that they alone are to blam Deuteronomy 32:3-5 Yes, hell is real. Yes, hell is a place of torment and punishment that lasts forever and ever, with no end. Praise God that, through Jesus, we can escape this eternal fate John 3:16, 18 and 36
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• But Hinson7169;
    Isn't it wonderful to know that we know and do repent and He promises to throw all sins of ours {forgiven sins} into the sea of forgetfulness?
    Hell is not and never was meant for God's children....man-kind; FREE CHOICE is what some have chosen and that choice unfortunetly leads to hell.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009