I am having my fourth child and I was thinking about an epidural.

My first three children I had no pain meds now I am realllly thinking about an epidural because it has only been a year since I had my third. I think its toooo soon for THAT pain.

later

Asked by later at 1:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow! 3 and you haven't had one? I had not one but two with my dd and I'm glad I did. I didn't have any of the nasty reactions to it that I hear some Moms talk about. I was given my first one a little too early, thats why I had 2. Only complaint is that I couldn't feel my legs let alone hold them!! My husband had to do that. But it wore off quickly afterwards so it's not like I couldn't feel my legs for a long period of time. I think everyone is different but this was my expeirence :)
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I loved my epidural, but do suffer back pains now as an after effect. I heard from a lot of people that the epidural was great, but they all suffer from back pains now. In the beginning it's a lot pain (not near as painful as everything else), but it gets a little better with time. I loved it though and will definitely do it again!
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think if you handled having 3 kids without epidural I would do your fourth one without it, cuz I had two boys both with epidural and I have back pains were they put the needles in and it usually hurts around the time of the month but that is just me

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You are so strong for having 3 natural deliveries. If you can do it and handle the pain You should do it again. I had the epidural with all my baby's and the second one DID NOT work and I have back pain also, if anybody touches my back where I had it I freak. But on the other hand the epidural was great with my other 3. Its your decision and good luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• ive had all fife of my kids without any pain meds and plan on doing the same with my sixth.im more scared of needles than pain.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I haven't had my baby (hopefully the 27th he comes) but I will get an epidural! I do NOT want to remember my first sons birth as painful and instead cherish it as a memory. That's why it was created, to ease pain. Everything has side effects- even people who have natural deliveries, they are traumatized. Hell, forget that, I'm going for an api. :)
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 8:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It was the best thing I could have ever done with my kids!!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have 4 kids, with the first two I went completely natural, the third I decided I wanted an epidural. It was wonderful, I was able to pay attention so much better, actually remember seeing my son born. I wanted an epidural again with my 4th but she came too fast! I was upset, when she was out and laying on my belly, I was crying and saying "I didn't get my epidural"...lol...my dh is like it's over now anyway, just look at our baby! I personally would recommend an epidural to anyone!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had a natural birth and theres NO way after that Id turn to an epidural! I didnt mind giving birth at all. It was great to be able to move during her labor. The nurses tried to make me stay still but I dont listen. It also raises the risks of fetal distress... Id say go natural momma! Your 4th will probably come very quickly anyway.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 8:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009