Toddler Pageants

Do you put your kids in them. If so how does that go with your religious beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• While my religion has no specific problem with prostitution (or in this case, prostitot-ion) I still find the whole practice disgusting. Teaching kids to be "more confident" by giving 6 year olds spray tans, fake teeth, hair extensions and more sequins than a drag queen while they live on a diet of Red Bull and Hershey bars every weekend hoping to win enough prize money to cover mommy's gas money and 2 carton a week habit. I'm not seeing the character building there, unless it's conditioning to be the future ex-trophy wife of some used car magnate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Well notpanicking maybe overstating it a bit but there certainly isn't any good in those pagents.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree there is no good in the pagents the bible says in Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I also agree with notpanicking!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yey Hinson. I love your thoguht on this. Thank you!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i agree with everybody! prostitotion (love that, NP!) doesn't teach a healthy attitude of competition. what is hilarious, though, is you end up witnessing mothers trying to hang on to their own fading beauty and popularity, or their last-ditch effort to be crowned prom queen. what a testiment to the female spirit of confidence!! ..sigh...
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Actually there are quite a few that have rules against makeup (spray tans included) fake teeth and fake hair. I don't mind putting my daughters in one of those if they are having one at the local mall. For them it is a lot of fun to walk around on the stage and wear a cute dress (target not the $300 ones you see people wearing on those pageant shows). Every one that enters gets a trophy and all the girls and boys have a great time.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't put my kids in them but it has nothing to do with my religious beliefs. I want my kids to know they're beautiful just the way they are. Their self-confidence shouldn't come from prancing around a stage like a dog in a dog show hoping people like them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My DD has only done one pageant and it was for charity. No make up no expensive outfits or anything like that. Just the natural cuteness of the kiddos. She placed second in her age grouping and all the money benefitted the Autism Society. Now fast forward a few years, she has three brothers all with autism at different levels. kind of a weird coincidence. I don't mind the local ones at the mall and such I don't agree with the big production ones that got Jon Benet killed. I haven't entered any since and probably won't.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2009