Whats the appropriate age to babysit?

I have an 11 year old son who is wise beyond his years. He wants to watch his 2 year old baby sister for a few hours a day while I work. He loves her and ends up watching her anyway when I hire a sitter to come to my home. I have a regular sitter who needs certain days off during the week that I cant take off. Do you think thats a good age for babysitting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you know he's respobsible with her than maybe. Might want to get him to take a CPR class-which I reccmend for any sitter. And make sure he knows what to do in certain emergencies such as a fire or tornado.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i think that's a little too young. My dd is 14 and it's just now that I let her watch my 22mth old for a couple of hours. she's also mature for her age but she's still a kid and can get very easily distracted. jmo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• way to young he wouldnt beable to help her if something went wrong like she choked on something or wat not
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• plus you need to be careful.In some states its illegal for you to leave a young child with people under a certain age.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• He should take a class, but I think in WI you have to be 13 to get certified to babysit.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 13 and having had a class.

Answer by Bmat at 7:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I started watching my younger sister when I was about 10. I was very mature and responsible and there were never any problems
    tiffaninichole

Answer by tiffaninichole at 8:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Call the Red Cross; I believe that 12 is the minimum for taking the Babysitter class (first aid and CPR). As my daughter discovered, parents prefer a mature young teen who knows basic first aid and CPR to a flighty college student. She is 13, has four families she sits for on a regular basis, and charges $7 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• As long as he takes a babysitters course, can stay calm in an emergency he should be ok. In my city Red Cross has a babysitter course for kids 11 and older.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I started babysitting at 9
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009