Snakes? are they ok to have around your kids?

I have a 3 month old son. And a Ball Python snake. We don't want to get rid of our snake and he is locked up very good in his cage so there is NO WAY POSSIBLE for him to get out and hurt the baby. But a friend said it wasn't safe because they can get the baby sick. But is it ok to have him? We don't handle him around the baby and wash our hands REALLY well before we even THINK about touching the baby or anything that has to do with the baby. So is ok?

ilovemycupcake

Asked by ilovemycupcake at 2:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pets

• As long as snake is always secure, and cannot cause an accident with children when you're not looking then snakes are fine! Just be a responsible owner. Your friend is wrong.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• last month a child was killed bc a snake had got out an rapped around the bby an suffocated it so make sure its very secure
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• snakes are fine, just make sure they are secure like you said they are. we have 3 snakes.. a ball python and 2 corn snakes...

they can only get sick from them, if they play in there cage, play with there poop or if someone handles the baby after handling the snake and didnt wash their hands. but you said you do that, so its fine :)
    you can keep your pets :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i have 2 ball pythons or i did my jezabell was found dead tonite...any who we have had all sorts of snakes around r kids we take percussions like i do with the rest of my animales after handeling them everyone washes their hands and uses the hand sanitizer stuff...the only snake we had that the kids couldnt handle was r viper boas and that was b/c the female was nasty and she struck at the cage all the time...we kept them for a year befor that male died and i sold the female to get my male ball python.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 2:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I hate snakes, caged or not but I am sure if you are careful with them and use proper handwashing and safety etc then I don't know why you couldn't have them around your children.

pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 4:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2009