At what age did you take your child's pacifier away?

How did you do it? Any cute ideas? My 2 year old son only uses it for naps and bedtime. I would like to get ride of it very soon, but my 5 month old daughter has one. So it's not like he'll just forget about it. Any tips will help. Is he still too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is hard especially if the baby has one, my DD would just take her baby sisters so that was a real problem. My 2 year old now loves her binkies and I tried to take them away but she went crazy plus she hid binkies around the house.lol. I would give her a little more time just because sis has one but eventually if you really want to get rid of them you will have to take them away from both of them. People tell me that my 2 year old is to old but I dont care she will eventually let them go. We keep telling her that she is to big for a binky, and that if she wants to be a big kid that she has to give them up and sometimes she hands them to me and says I dont want it anymore so Ill put it up but when she is ready for bed she has to have it even though when she falls asleep it falls out of her mouth and she dosent hav it in all night. Now it Will be gone before she turns 3 we are going to buy her something to replace the binky
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I never my daughter one....
    KheiyahIsLife

Answer by KheiyahIsLife at 2:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 18 mos. I just took it away. We tried the only at bedtime and naps, but she would find them and pretty soon started climbing up to get them. I got her a stuffed animal she wanted, let her sleep with it a few nights and then took the binky away. She had grown an attachment to her "doggy" and I told her she was too big for it. 3 days of crying she was fine!
    I've also heard to cut the tips off and slowly cut more and more off until there is nothing to suck on! Otherwise, idk! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my oldest son when he was around 2 kinda lost interest in his but not really so I took it o way he fussed a bit but got over it really fast.

Me on the other hand when I was a baby I had mine till I was five, my mom tried everything and nothing worked, she even put a little pepper on it and I tried it, went in the bathroom wiped it off on a towel and put it back in my mouth. Nobody had peace in the house unless I had my binky, I even have pics were I was crying cuz my mom wanted to have a nice pic of me, so she would take it oway and I would start crying, lol it's crazy finally my mom just gave up.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• WHen they are getting teeth in you should try to tak it because it can mess up their teeth. What would you rather have? A sad kid over a pacifier or braces?
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 2 is soooo not too young. I didn't use it much and got rid of it when she got her 1st teeth. It wasn't hard. If you're worried about him seeing the baby with it, just don't use them at all. The baby won't mind and you'll be saving yourself the trouble of breaking the habit with that one too. Help him get to sleep w/out artificial soothers. Cuddles, singing, just laying there and rubbing his back, etc.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2009