How do you get a 5 month old to nap outside of the car?

My daughter is a fantastic night sleeper, but she won't nap unless in the car or stroller (and sometimes, but rarely, in a carrier). Even when she does nap it's rarely for longer than an hour, and almost always less. She will NEVER sleep anymore on her own (unless in moving car seat) during the day, and when I put her in the crib, even when almost asleep, she will eventually start screaming! I have to drive her around twice a day just so she can at least get SOME day sleep, which usually totals from 1-2 hours, if that. Here's what doesn't work: massage, the swing, nursing, singing, rocking, nap time routine, dark room, white noise, vibrating crib/or chair. Although she's good natured and only minimally fussy, she gives me all the sleepy signs (rubbing her eyes, red eyes, yawning etc.) thru out the day. Often she'll even wake up yawning and rubbing her eyes. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing and have any advice?

AmyMicheleK

Asked by AmyMicheleK at 2:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to let hr cry a little in her crib and check on her every 10 min or so and give her lovings and stuff and then lay her back down. try not to let her get OVERLY tired or that will help them to stay awake more.. try to stop the driving her around until she sleeps though otherwise it may stick as a habit and youll be doing it till she is older and older and damn thats a LOT of gas money lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Give her a bottle and then a bath and she should go right to sleep.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• How about a swing or just putting her in the car seat inside? Keep it regular at bedtime and get her used to a routine now.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I see you said white noise doesnt work...but there are so many different kinds. I tried everything till by accident one day I discovered that the vacuum put my son right to sleep..it worked so well and so quick that there were days, I admit it, that I just turned the vacuum on in the living room and just walked away from it..lol..or laid on the couch for a few..lol
    2boymama

Answer by 2boymama at 3:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• they make crib attatchments that make it feel like a car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• put in the carrier, then put on top of the dry and turn on. the vibrations have been known to help. You may just have to let her cry it out if absolutely nothing else is working. But maybe she's getting enough sleep an doesn't need a nap? How long does she sleep at night?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• youcould try putting her in a swing. you know those swings you crank up . mine hAD music that helped. If your swing don't have music put on some soft music from the rddio,c.d's, tapes what ever you have. after shes asleep you can just put in her play pen or little crib near by. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009