Is anyone a mommy attending college? Opinions?

I am planning on going to college to get my BA in phycology and wondering how hard it may have been for some moms or could it be a partially motivational in getting through hard goals as a good example? Could online college be a better decision so I have more time to spend with my baby? Cant wait to hear your opinions :]

Thanks!

Emo_mommy

Asked by Emo_mommy at 2:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in

• I go to the University of Phoenix one night a week. I have been going for 2 years and I LOVE IT!! Yes it's pricey, but I think it's totally worth it! I personally wouldn't like going to school online. From what I have heard from people at UOP, is that the online courses are much more difficult and consuming then going on ground. GL!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• youre still pregnant hun, id take it one step at a time. a BA is psych takes a very long time about 8 years and is very time consuming. if it were me and that were my goal, i would wait until the baby was at least a year...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I tried to go to college full time but it was to much so I dropped to half time and it was much better. I couldent do online clases because I am the type of person who has to pay full attention on what I am learning. I have done some online but It was better for me to be at school so I have that time for me, plus if I had any questions I could talk to a teacher face to face! You can do this and you will fell great that you accomplished your goal. It is hard going to school and having kids. It gets tiring to because you have to attend to the baby let alone all of the school work that you have. In the long run dont give up. If things get rough just slow down because you will work through them. Good luck you will do great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I teach at a community college, and an online university, so I do both face to face courses (traditional) and online courses. I find that the most successful online students are the ones who set up a schedule to work on school every day (granted a lot of their work gets done late at night after kids and hubby are asleep). However I also know for some students the online courses aren't right for them as they need to see the teacher/instructor lecturing. Online courses have come a long way in now we have videos and can use white board (like a chalk board) to illustrate points. It's a matter of personal preference and time committment. Face to Face courses require a specific day/time to meet while online gives you more flexibility, however you need to be disciplined enough to make time to go to the online course at least every other day (some schools - University of Phoenix for example require you to be online every day). GL
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 4:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm currently 24 weeks along. I'll be going to college next year. It's a full university. They have dorms that allow children and also apartments. In fact most colleges do. In fact most colleges also have a full time daycare so you can go to school during the day and spend time with your baby at night.
    Nikki.West

Answer by Nikki.West at 9:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right choice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I forgot to add that now is the best time to go to school. Your child will need you around much more from 12 to 17 than right now.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm 32 weeks right now but I'm going to online classes and will continue them until the baby is about 3-6 months. Then back to work, part-time school and (continued) full-time mommy.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 10:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• momnbabygirl: it takes 4 years of fulltime study to get a Bachelor's degree in psychology. It will take 6 for a Masters and 8 or more for a PhD.

OP: I am going to be honest, college is NOT easy with children. You have to balance your child's needs and those of your schoolwork. You learn to multitask, do homework when baby is napping or after they go to bed. I take my book to my son's baseball games and practice and read as much as possible. He has 3 hour practices and I get a lot done in that time. You will get discouraged but keep pushing forward, it will be worth it in the end. You will learn to go on less sleep. Be sure to have some downtime and have someone that can help you out with the baby so you can study. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I started by taking classes online through our local community college. Now I have moved up to full time, do part time day care and go to one class in person and take three online. Start off slow, its difficult to do! I think it is totally worth it though.I plan to transfer to a larger school in 2011.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 1:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009