oral herpes

I just got back into contact w/ some old friends. 1 told me she has oral herpes. It was random & seemed hard for her to say, so I just said "That sucks" & didn't ask questions. I just need to know if I should be concerned or take any precautions with her. I really don't care if she has it. I don't mind. But herpes doesn't sound fun so I'd rather avoid it of course. I've read that people get it few times even before adulthood. So does that mean it goes away on its own after time? I also saw it can spread via touch. Does that touch have to be on the sores exactly? She said hers were only on her tongue. Is it ok for her to kiss my baby? Will something small like her touching her mouth, touching my hand, then me touching my mouth matter? Any other relevant info I should know? I don't want to make her feel weird but I want to play safe.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 2:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Health

• not sure, but I certainly wouldnt let her kiss my baby just in case. dont share any drinks or chapstick, etc. I think its only spread thru touching sores but that would include if she touched the sores and then like shook your hand or something. I could be wrong, but I dont think herpes ever goes away, it just goes dormant..and then you have outbreaks and it flares up again but its never actually gone.
    2boymama

Answer by 2boymama at 2:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Do research and ask your Dr and/or your daughters Pediatritian!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 7:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• its really easy for children to get it no spit swapping with her and if she gets them on her tounge shel end up getting them else where, be very cautious
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Herpes is very contagious!! Yes you can spread it to other places on the body, lips, gentials, eyes.....pretty much anywhere. I wouldn't let you friend kiss your baby thats for sure. But before she touches your baby maybe ask her in a polite way to wash her hands. Its just one of those things that can be in your body for sometime and then appear.
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• NOT good for babies to get it! It is very transferable through contact via mouth, and you don't have to have a visible sign for it to be contagious.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009