Should I report my Pediatrician to...whoever you would report them to???

So my 4 mo old has a dairy allergy, which led to a mild yeast infection on her head. Really, it's only a little flakey skin under her hair & it's only noticable when it's wet . Doesn't seem to bother her at all.
Anyway, he e-mailed the RX to the pharmacy & when I picked it up it said to give her 4 ccs 2x a day, which seemed like a lot to give a little baby. I'm not into giving meds to a baby that young anyway unless it's really necessary, so I waited till the Dr office was open again to ask if it was a mistake. The receptionist checked with him , comes back on the phone & says, nonchalantly, "oh, yeah, that was a mistake. Just give her 3 ccs 1x the first day & 1.5 ccs 1x a day for the rest of it. Yeah, sometimes the computer automatically decides the amounts..."
Excuse me? Shes only supposed to get 1.5 ccs a day and if I hadn't questioned the RX I'd have been giving her 8 ccs? I'm not giving it to her at all now...

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hell ya I would report the pediatrician. A damn computer is not suppose to tell you how much to give you for meds. That is what a doctor is for. Computer glitch and I would not trust them one bit. I would also find another pediatrician.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• that's crazy, and don't you love it how they just play it off like "oh it's not a big deal" that's bull, I've noticed that Dr. and nurses have been making a lot of mistakes lateley, I know everyone makes mistakes but not in health care there are no excuses, we pay them more then enough money to not make mistakes.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Both your pharmacist and ped were wrong, the pharmacist should have called ped to double check a rx that much off. I'd get a prescription book from either a pharmacy or a supermarket and keep it handy and compare amounts.

the ped specifically made a miscalculation. I'd talk around and see if any other moms kids have been given too powerful antiob. by your ped. Then talk it over with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sometimes the computer dose make mistakes it has happened to me with my kids. But what is good about it is that you were smart enough to catch it ( I am the same way). Its up to you if you dont want to give her the meds but the infection will just get worse if you don't use it or call the doc back and see if they can give you the cream to put on it. And on the head is a strange spot to have a yeast infection are you sure its not cradle cap ( I think thats what you call it). Honestly maby you better get her checked by another doctor for a second opinion.( just to be safe and maby hold off on the meds until you get a second opinion). You are a great mommy and everything will be ok.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Now that I read annons answer, I would get a second opinion cuz both of my kids had flakes on there head and were visible when there hear was wet, and all I did was got a very fine comb and just brush it out a little at a time when I gave them baths, so I really would just get a second opinion

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• get a second opinion, definitely! maybe you can look into reporting physician errors through a google search? i would definitely look into it, that is a BIG mistake. as some others have said, maybe it is just cradle cap? dd didn't have it until around 4 mos as well. rub some oil on it, then use a fine tooth comb to remove it, and follow with a shampoo. when she gets her baths, make sure to scrub her head and behind her ears with a little more pressure. you can also give her a probiotic. i don't think yeast responds well to antibiotics, but i could be wrong. hth, good luck and good for you (and baby) for having enough brains to question something like that!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• to the mama who said that docs and nurses get paid well so they shouldn't make mistakes, think again! maybe docs do, but nurses don't get paid nearly what they should for the amount of work they do and the responsibilities they have. it is sad really.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 5:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sounds like we have the same pediatrician, or did! I had to go get a new one.
    hperezzz

Answer by hperezzz at 5:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Professional Medical Conduct and Physician Discipline
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Im sorry you have such a terrible pediatrician I would definitely get a new doctor, second opinion, and report him to the medical licensing board of your state (thats who you report mistakes too) I had to report my daugthers very first pediatrician cause she didnt tell me my daughter has a minor heart murmur as she has grown it has almost repaired itself and its not such an issue now but as i was told by another doctor (her favorite and the best doctor ever next too her curren doctor) that she should have had some test to make sure that it wasnt severe. so anyway i would report it and it does sound like cradle cap to me too so i would get another opinion
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009