If you signed to your baby....

How old were they when you started to sign to them?
or should i ask.. when do they understand it? maybe not sign back at you right away but start to pay attention to the signs?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started about 6-8 mos? cant remember exaclty when! But about a year she started signing back. I also would help her make the sign with her hands.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• we started to sign with our youngest at about 3 months when he was up longer than 20 min. He started to sign back about 8=9 months. just the simple ones like milk he would just show us his hands, and eat he would put his hand to his head, if we were lucky in the same general area as his mouth!
    But it all depends on when your baby is ready to fully understand, and respond to that stuff. My oldest never took until he was over 1 and by then he was already trying to say the words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I never did and really never understood why moms do that, not that I find fault with them or anything. I guess maybe it's because the baby can't talk and can use signs until they learn?

I think it is a nice thing to learn though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son is 13 months old and can carry brief "conversations" with me, using one sign and pointing. I've been signing since before he was born (hearing-impaired) and my son is hearing. He used his first sign around 6 months old (more!) and a few others emereged at that time. I'm not sure if he was just repeating what he saw or understood. He did understand simple instructions by 10 months old. Now, I know he can understand me because he responds accurately, within reason.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• With my first I started about 6 months old and he started to sign back around 13 months old. With my second I was signing from day one and she started signing back (she used please a milk) at 8 months old. I don't know if she understood please, but she only signed milk when she wanted to nurse so I am pretty confident she understood it. My first definitely understood what he was signing to me at 13 months old to. He would make the sign for drink and eat whenever he wanted them. Again the please and thank you not sure if he really understood those yet, but he made the signs.

Oh and the reasoning behind it is because they can't talk yet so this is a way of communicating that they CAN do and understand. It made my life easier then trying to figure out what his grunts and pointing and later screaming meant! If he was hungry he did eat if he was thirsty drink I didn't have to guess from his grunting at 9 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• With my son I started signing late at about 2 yrs. He had a speech delay and boy what a difference signing made. He was signing over 20 words and then drop signing all together within a month, because he started talking. With my daughter (whose is currently 7 months) we have just started with her. It is really nice to see that her brother is also trying to sign with her.
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 8:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We started at birth. At about 5-6 months they understood the sign, they started signing back at about 8 months and it kind of phased out as they started speaking. They do still understand the signs....like "stop" "sit" "quiet" LOL

We used ASL and I highly recommend it!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We started with our son at 9 months. He first signed back at 12 months. I'm already signing with my daughter--started at about 6 months and she seems to understand the sign for milk.
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 8:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I was pretty lazy about it. I had every intention to start signing to her around 7 mos, but didn't get to it. One day she was getting a diaper change and I signed more for the first time, and she signed it right back to me. She was 13 mos. Now she's 20 mos and is speaking almost all of the words she knows signs for, so she has stop signing to words she's perfected.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009