What age should a kid learn how to swim.

Ileen74

Asked by Ileen74 at 6:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• As early as possible without scaring them. Don't sign them up for a private class either. They get more afraid of the water that way. Have them in a class with other kids their age and they'll have more fun and not be afraid.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 6:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My DD is 14 months old and she is on the pools waiting list since she as 6 months old. I think the earlier the better.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I was an Aquatic Director, lifeguard, swim instructor, competitive swimmer (and related positions) for over 25 years (overlapping of course).

Babies can be introduced to warm water from birth on. Most swim programs (parent/child) start at 6 months. Parents are taught songs, movements, and ways to hold their children to maximize security and independence while they explore.

Depending on how your child takes to the water, if lessons are given consistently from infant and up, and children are exposed and allowed the time to explore, most children will begin swimming independently (no flotation devices) by around 3-4 years old.

The more comfortable parents are around the water, the more likely your child will learn to swim early on. I think it's essential that children learn to swim--enough to save themselves should they end up in a body of water. Children can drown in a shallow plastic kiddie pool!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We have a pool, so my children are learning very early. My 4 yr old can swim without the aid of a floatation device, and my 3 yr old is almost to that point as well. I really worked with my kids. I was in the water with them..that always seems to make it more fun for them. Day before yesterday my DH went to look into some pool repair at the friend of my DD's. They have a built in pool. My 4 yr old took a step backwards, tripped over a hose and fell into their pool. My DH ran to pull him out but in a matter of 2 seconds he was above water and swimming to the side on his own. I think it is so important..pool or no pool...to teach your kids how to swim.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My 7, 5, 4, and 3 year olds can swim. My 4 and 7 year old can jump off a diving board in 12 feet of water and swim to the side.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• As early as possible. My 5 month old is learning now, he only waited til 5 months old because he was born in Feb & it's too cold & we had to wait for the weather to warm up enough.
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009