How long after your baby was born did you leave the house?

There's a surprise party for my SIL a week to the day after my daughter will be born and MIL wants me to bring my newborn. I happen to be having a scheduled c section on Monday, probably released from the hospital on Wednesday and the party is on Sunday. Is that too soon for me to be out and about after the c-section? Also I don't feel comfortable bringing a newborn around a bunch of people since she'll only be a week old.

I know MIL is going to pass her around for show and tell and I really don't feel comfortable with that but I don't want to bring her there and then tell people, no you can't hold her. So how long did you wait before you took your baby out and introduced him/her to everyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Less than a week after a c-section, you probably won't feel like going to a party. You won't be able to drive, you'll be exhausted, and you may still be on some strong painkillers. On the other hand, you may be sick of being kept in and want to go. I don't think anyone sane would blame you for not saying yes or no until the last minute on this.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had to stay home for a whole month! I definitley wouldn't bring the baby. What with all the reports on swine flu and such..do you really want to risk harming the baby?
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I recommend against it. You will be recovering from surgery, the baby will be very new and doesn't need to be around other people. Aside from all of that, we were told keep the baby home until the baby is 10 lbs. It is too soon for you and too soon for the baby.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i would wait....i had a c-section and it was 6 weeks before my due date, my son was in the nicu for a week so i kinda had to go out, but it wasnt fun....especially when you opt for no pain med after the surgery yourself....but take it easy, if you MIL doesnt get that then to bad for her....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You probably won't feel like it after a c-section. If you do, go and have a good time. Just don't let your MIL have the baby, don't let her be passed around. You're the mom, YOU have the say what goes on with your kid.

As for "going out"....I didn't have a c-section, so we were out shopping as needed after we got home. Actually we stopped at the grocery store on the way home. You just don't let people have the baby. Pure and simple.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had a c-section 11 days ago and starting driving again 2 days ago. I didn't have any pain though after the c-section, after I left the hospital I only took ibuprofen for 1 day for the uncomfortableness. We did take baby with us to the store the day after we got home as I couldn't drive and I needed to go with my hubby, however NO ONE got to hold him and I still have asked people to hold off visiting until I'm ready (probably at least another full week). I say if you feel up to the party go but hold off saying yes or no until the very last minute.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 8:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You probably wont want to go, I had DD vaginally and I was in a lot of pain for about 3 weeks so it was really tough. I had DD right before Christmas and at Christmas events everyone wanted to hold her and pass her around, when she started crying no one wanted to give her back to me because they didnt want to stop holding her. That was the worst part about it so I stopped going out after that, until she was a little bit older and I was feeling better.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I guess it depends. With my 2nd child (vaginal birth) I was released from the hospital the day after I had her and the following day I went to take my older child to her swimming lessons and the next day (when she was 3 days old) we went to a friend's baby shower. We never missed a beat and I was feeling great and the baby did just fine. Most people looked at her but no one crowded her or anything. With my 3rd child - an emergency c-section, I was much worse off. 14 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing and then being completely knocked out for the c-section took it's tole on me. It took about 5 weeks before I felt human again, before I could get out of a chair or bed without wanting to cry. I don't know, maybe a scheduled c-section would be better but I still think you may not feel up to it.
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You know, you can just stop by and "show" everyone the baby, and get going. My daughter had to go to the doctors just 2 days after she was released from the hospital (she has a BW in the womb, so they just wanted to follow up) and a close friend of mine was having her baby shower. Since we were already going to the doctors, we thought well i won't stay at the shower, but i can come bring my present personally and show people the baby and then get on my way. As long as you and the baby are healthy there is NO reason why you can't go out, there is no rule saying you must stay in doors!! Have fun and bring your baby on all your adventures!!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I took him the store the same day we were released (2 days old) and went to the busiest restaurant in town with my grandparents from out of state on the next day. We get out of the house almost every day and have since then.
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 8:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009