Why we keep thinking that delivering a baby is a medical procedure and not a "natural event"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think ignorance and money are two big factors. While the medical advances are great and wonderful for those women who truly have emergencies and would have died in childbirth without interventions, those same interventions can be dangerous for women and babies who did not really need them. The majority of c-sections today are not necessary, mostly due to the overuse of inductions. I'm not saying that those are bad things, they are lifesavers!! But overuse can cause more problems than good. Going 7-10 days over a 'due date', not a reason to induce. If baby is in distress, the mommy has pre e, those are valid reasons. Ultrasound showing big baby, not a reason for a c-section especially considering that it is wrong most of the time. Big baby stuck for a long period of time and unable to get out because mommy is small, time for c-section. Breech baby, not a reason for c-section either. Previous section not a valid reason either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sometimes medical intervention is needed to help the baby or the mother. True childbirth is a natural event. But in the past, many babies or mothers died at childbirth. These days there is more hope for babies and mothers.

Answer by Bmat at 7:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am with BMAT on this. Under normal circumstances a women can give birth at home. With out any problem. But women like me. I needed medical help delivering my 1st child. I just wouldn't widen out enough.

Answer by louise2 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It makes me so angry! Women have been giving birth to children since the beginning of time. I want to go to a midwife for my second childs birth. I had such a bad experience with my first child at the hospital, and they treated me like I was having surgery, not having a baby.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We take so much for granted these days. Complaining about the milestones that we have made to make childbirth safer, keeping more Mom's alive. Women and babies used to die all the time in childbirth. Now it is very rare.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am with yall. If I had gone the 'natural' route I would have died in childbirth. I'd rather be thankful for not being a statistic so I am alive to be a mommy. More power to the ones who want the 'this is all natural' approach. I will stick with my doctor and be thankful my babies and I are alive because of it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009