Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok for a nine month old to have strawberries?

My daughter wants to eat whatever I am eating and my husband bought strawberries at the grocery store yesterday. I know that my doctor specifically told me at her 6 month check up that she should stay away from strawberries, but I don't remember him mentioning it at her 9 month check up. I don't know if that means that nothing has changed as far as strawberries go or if she can have them now. Do you guys know?

 
Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 9:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • We have no food allergies on my or my husbands side of the family & we gave strawberries to our girls around a year. I would HIGHLY recommend waiting until 2. Our youngest daughter suddenly developed an allergy to strawberries at 2. She eventually outgrew it but it was bad & the dr said she was actually allergic all along but had to build up the toxins in her body. She was eating a strawberry one day & I turned around to put them away, turned back & her eye's were swelled shut! Scary to say the least. I'd wait, it's not worth the risk. My son(5 months) will not have pb, honey nuts or strawberries until 2 just to be safe.
    mamabens

    Answer by mamabens at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

  • Strawberries are highly allergenic, so it's best to not give them to babies under a year old. If she grabs one by accident and eats before you can get it out of her mouth....LOL No harm done. But I'd wait until she's at least a year old before you give them to her, just as a precaution.
    LKRA

    Answer by LKRA at 9:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

  • I agree completely with LKRA. I have a severe allergy to strawberries, and can tell you that even one can cause problems. I spent a week in the hospital as a child from a strawberry. Neither of my parents or grandparents has the allergy, so no one thought anything of it to give me some. Just to be safe, I would wait until she is a year old to test it. Its actually the seeds that are dangerous, so its not a matter of just giving her a small piece either. One seed is enough to set off a reaction. Hope this helps!
    Emuu

    Answer by Emuu at 9:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

  • You'll want to wait til she's at least one. They can definately give your LO an allergic reaction. I was at IHOP a few months ago and there was a large family sitting not too far from ours. Well, the mom ordered pancakes (with strawberries on top) for her daughter and within 10 min of her eating them I noticed they were all panicing. The girl was having an allergic reaction to the strawberries and I'm thinking she was probably 9-10 months.
    jkt747

    Answer by jkt747 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

  • I gave strawberries to my LO around 9 mos. I understand the concern parents have about allergies, but since noone on my side of the family or DDs father's side have ANY food allergies, I risked it. She was fine, and berries are some of her favorite things to eat now :)
    epoh

    Answer by epoh at 10:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009