should my five year old know how to read when he starts kindergarden?

my son is starting school in a month . im wondering if he is expected to know how to read some words or not.

grace985

Asked by grace985 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is generally what they should know in Kindergarten...

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum/kindergarten

They do NOT need to know how to read....

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Depends on the school district. However, our local does not require the child to need to know how to read...or even letters, numbers, colors, etc.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes, he should know how to read some basic sight words - that, the, is, on, he, she, in, of, a, and etc. He should also know how to correctly write and spell his name - first and last - as well as be able to identify letters of the alphabet and their sounds.

Did he attend pre-school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Did he attent kidergarten screening? If he did, they should have given you info. on what is to be expected of them.

He should know colors, letters (and their sounds), numbers, and basic sight words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• our requirement is knowing basic colours, shapes, numbers to 10, some of the ABCs....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I want to clarify my above post...this is what they typically TEACH in Kindergarten...not what they need to know before entering...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son didn't. But by the end of the year he was reading better than some second graders.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• call the school and ask
    Each state has different rules. If he passed testing to get in though you should be fine
    In our area they do need to know how to read and write a bit as well as some basic math...a lot of kids fail the Kindergarten test and have to wait until they are 6 to start school because of it
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• When my oldest, over 20 years ago, started school he wasn't expected to know how to read. However think about this. If you try and do the job other people, including the government are supposed to be doing are you helping your kid or not. I mean u may very well be taking education off the governments hands and placing it on all parents, which eventually will save the government lots of $$$$ which I doubt will be given to the parents anyway and maybe by the time your great grandkids have to go to school it will not be around, but hey to each his own. It's homeschooling really so if u r teaching your kid, Y send him to school at all. IDK I think that parents have lots of more important stuff to teach their kids like self respect, hygiene, pride in themselves, house chores, blasi blasi blah.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 10:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think he should know how to read basic words and also recognize and write his name. Going based on what is expected in our district, the kids that don't read, write, or even recognize letters have a hard time, and to a certain extent, they hold others who are more prepared back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2009