What is the better method to use, midwife or doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i use a doctor, what's best for me isn't what's best for everyone else....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That depends on your medical history, what you know your limitations are and having a plan B if your birthing experience takes a wrong turn and you need extra medical help.

I needed a doctor and surgical team to save my son. If I had chosen a midwife and not been near a hospital my son and I would have died in childbirth.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had a midwife for my first, and he was delivered in a hospital. You CAN find a midwife that delivers in hospitals just as regular doctors do. My other 2 deliveries were by a DR, this one will be too. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They both have pros. A midwife may help you more with a "natural" birth, you may have more leeway in getting what you want if it's something other than a monitored hospital birth, s/he may teach you more about what's going on with your body. A doctor may be better equipped to deal with any pitfalls that may happen, s/he may have more medical training and may be better able to predict problems, etc. It really depends on what you're more comfortable with and the birthing experience you want.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I prefer a doctor, but I really trust her and think she is great. I actually don't know any midwives in our area, or anyone that has had one help deliver their child.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Depends on your situation. A normal pregnancy without complications a midwife is usually the best choice. Complications or history of complications (like pre e or diabetes), go with a good doctor. I had a midwife with my first and delivered in the hospital. She was wonderful! With this pregnancy I am seeing a midwife from a birth center. So far everything is wonderful with this one as well.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I chose to go with a midwife and so far I'm happy. Our hospital has both doctors and midwives and I see the midwives. There are 5 that do pregnancies and I've seen each one at least once because when the day arrives, I will get whoever is on call. I think, but I'm not sure, the doctors are the same way at our hospital. You get whoever is on call. My SIL had a doctor and then five days before her due date, the doctor told her, "oh by the way, I'm going out of town." Sure enough the baby came when the doctor was out of town. When she got to the hospital she started with the on-call doctor and then when his shift was over, she had a midwife and she said the midwife was phenomenal. The hospital we chose is really into doing things as natural as possible. You can still get epidurals, but they have doulas to help you if you choose not to.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• depends what you want and what you can afford. here midwives are now covered partially through the provincial health care.

I had a dr, friends have had midwives.

everyone has different needs, beliefs and ideas. its almost like asking whats better....put the right shoe on first or the left

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• For a normal pregnancy a midwife and for an abnormal pregnancy a doctor. Read Birthing the Easy Way by Sheila Stubbs and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Both books will help you decide what is best for you (plus help you get comfortable with the birth process and believe in your body).

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my last switch this time around was to an ob/ midwife meaning she does both and i tell u her midwife side shows more then anything else and i just absolutely love her, shes soo calming and always knows how to get me to relax and listens to me all the time..i have had many obs and while thier decent and stuff thier nothing like her...
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009