Cold sore ?

I get cold sores on my lips and inside my mouth. My question is even without an outbreak or just the start of one can I pass it to my partner with oral sex?? I have been reading some other posts and some ladies get cold sores as well have any of you had this problem. If it were to happen to my me and my BF how in the world would I explain that if he gets an out break on his gentials?? I would die if he did!!!

newlifewith3

Asked by newlifewith3 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Health

• Ive had cold sores forever! Me & DH have been together for 10yrs. I get them, he does not... I dont do oral on him when i have one.. but im sure ive kissed him a million times before i noticed I had one coming so you would think if he was going to start getting them he would have... and hes never broke out with a cold sore when I have one...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If the cold sore is herpes, as most are, you can pass it on during oral sex. You can give yourself genital herpes by masterbating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That just great!!!! I had the start of one the other day, I have it under control but am a little scared that I may have passed it to my BF!! Isn't life just grand?? :(
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My husband gets cold sores. In ten years I have never gotten it from him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I do take Valtrex when it starts to happen, but like my doc says it can still be spread if not careful!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I've had coldsores since I was little. DH and I are always careful when I have an outbreak (no oral) and I haven't passed it on yet. I don't kiss my kids when I have an outbreak either. Pretty much as long as nothing that touches the sore touches other people it doesn't spread, if that makes sense. And as for the pp who said you can give yourself genital herpes if you masturbate, not unless you touch the sores and then your genitals, and if you have oral herpes it's pretty rare that you'll ever get genital herpes.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes, it can pass. Cold sores are very contagious.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2009