Broken angkle and surgery - asked yesterday, but didn't really get any answers, so asking again

I broke my ankle Monday night. I broke it on both sides, and the ER dr said I would need surgery to repair it. I see my primary dr, who will refer me for surgery or setting or whatever, on Monday. The only surgery I've ever had was a c-section to deliver my youngest, and they tied my tubes at the same time. I don't like needles, knives, or anything else that goes along with surgery, so I am really freaking. And I am a single mom, so I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my kids. Has anyone ever had this before? Do you know if it would be outpatient surgery or if I'd need to be hospitalized, and if so, for how long? Does it hurt a lot? How long does it take to heal? I am hoping the ER dr was wrong, I don't want to have surgery. Is it really as bad as I keep thinking it will be, or am I just overreacting?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 10:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Health

• should be out patient, if you have more concerns, ask the doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my brother broke his leg plus at the same time also both tore a ligament and additionally in that same leg he sprained his ankle. He also did not have surgery for a couple of days after his accident because of insurance.

Double check your insurance - do you just need a prescription form saying your primary says see a specialist orthopedic surgeon or does your insurance say you must have a specific form filled out by your primary with documentation and xrays from er and your primary doc, also, and THEN that all must be sent for insurance approval to see an orthopedic surgeon??

You probably have pain killers- if you do follow those directions but do not exceed per dosage. Keeping your pain lower will decrease anxiety. Ask if you can take an ibupropen, that's good at decreasing swelling BUT ASK FIRST. Keep up with ice on off what ever doctor says.

You will have your vitals taken in preop and probably bloodwork too. ANYctd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• second responder again ... continued .... ANY chance you're pregnant now? You must must tell every doctor every nurse every tech if you think or wonder or know if you are, you must.

Your a single mom? Can your family from far away come day of your surgery for few days to help u? Your ex is he decent enough to help even if he's with someone else? If not go to your church tell the secretary and minister - they can put out a message for help for you. Churches are great like that. If you don't belong to a church then this is a great way to join one!!

Just call the office or afterhours emergency number for the minister afterhours and say you were about to join and this accident happened and your a single mom with kids, could anyone do daycare and drive you home from hospital, watch kids for two days Lots of churches are heavy into community.

Your anesthesia to sleep and wake up could be scary,no pain insurgery tho.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My ex is no help. My parents live down the street, they are helping. It's just that I don't know if they will only need a day off for my surgery or if I need to have them arrange to take multiple days or find a sitter while they are working b/c I will be hospitalized.

We got my insurance figured out; it did take a couple of days and I think was more painful than the broken ankle. LOL I have to see my primary care dr and then he has to refer me to the orthopedic surgeon. I am still hopeful that the ER dr might have been wrong, and I won't need surgery, but the research I did at medlineplus.gov and webmd.com pretty much confirms that I will need surgery.

I just hate anything with anesthesia and knives and all that. I never had any problems with my c-section, but I just...I don't know. I guess I just tend to panic and think the worst, ya know? Thanks for your response, though. It was very helpful.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• hi i'm just seeing this. how r u doin now!!! i'll tell you. i had 2 broken ankles and a knee. after suffering a car accident. jan 1 new years day. things are better now than before. it was rough but i'm so grateful for a strong family/friends support always. that's what u need

how r u doin now. just be encouraged!!!
    sweetbrown-suga

Answer by sweetbrown-suga at 10:02 AM on Aug. 14, 2009