I'm a teen mom, any advice?

I'm a 17 year old, and I'm 24 weeks along. I'm really nervous, and I'd like some advice on parenting, and how to be a good mom.

Nikki.West

Asked by Nikki.West at 10:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't listen to all the negative things about you losing freedom, the babies eventually grow and they do it fast !!! I got PG at 17 my son is now 10 and I'm having the time of my life !! Life is not over it is just beginning ! My son's 10 now and his classmates ask if I 'm his sister ! LOL ! You will have fun growing up with your kids ... Having him was the best thing that has EVER happenend to me ! And listen to the lady that told you about the bottles !! It wrecks my nerves when I see mom's using the 99 cents og bottles esp. for newborns
    SGMAMI

Answer by SGMAMI at 12:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• that could take all day... the best advice i can give you is to go with your gut instincts.... good for you for taking care of your baby!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Try reading "What to expect: The 1st Year". It helped me and I already had 2 babies. I'm near 20 weeks with our 4th and still have a ton of questions. Its perfectly normal to feel nervous with your first but it will come naturally! Feel free to messege me if you ever need someone to talk to. Congrats!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• do not look back
    your life is going to change forever
    and you will not be a teen anymore
    do not take it out on your child when you regret not having the free time your peers have
    and you will have issues that older moms do not, you will have skipped over those young things that we all do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• find a support group for young moms
    you can learn about mom things and still hang out with people your same age-because you will not be hanging out with your old friends doing single girl things like you used to
    not that you can not hang out with your old friends, but the friends that do not have babies are going to be doing different things
    some new friends that also have babies might help

you can be a great mom, congrates
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Having a baby is hard work and you are going to have to make sacrifices in your own life to care for your baby. You must put it first with every single decision you make. It is no longer what you want. Try to enjoy the freedoms you have now because when your little bundle comes, your whole outlook on life will change! Good Luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Bottle are important if you don't want a gassy baby get good bottles like Dr Browns or Playtex's vent air or something Good luck

mom-2b

Answer by mom-2b at 10:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Get on birth control after the baby arrives so you will reduce the risk of getting pregnant again and can focus on your new baby. Get as much support as you can from your family and friends. Make arrangements with your school to either get your diploma or get your GED. It will be very important for you in terms of job prospects.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i have awknowledged throughout the years that young parents raise the best kids when they put forth the effort. you simply being there and loving the kiddo will make everything come out perfectly. just know that it is EASIER for you to cope with child rearing things because of your age. keep in mind that it is easier for you to stay up late, just pretend you are partying. listen to a baby screaming- you've been listening to adults do that to you for awhile! also, teen moms are the most protective because their kiddo is their BFF and as any teen girl can say, they would shed blood for their BFF. not to mention that teen girls take the BEST photos so GO NUTS!

now, i don't encourage young girls to get pregnant but i am glad i am a young mom-to-be myself.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 10:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• hey girl, if you need someone to talk to, i know i am not 17 (i just turned 21) but i have been a counsler for 7 years and have been in the child care profession for 10 years, been taking phycology for three years...not to mention i may be clinically insane. so, it makes me great for talking to about whatever- i am here for you! feel free to message me.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 10:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2009