My son is so attatched to me that he only wants to sleep in my bed at night. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't like the CIO method, however I have tried it at 4 mos and again at 6 mos and each time he would just cry as long as it took for us to pick him up. I know it works for some people but I would like to know if anyone used a non-CIO method with success? If he is in my bed he sleeps through the night, but if I put him in his crib he only sleeps for an hour tops.

arocks

Asked by arocks at 10:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is the same way...I tried CIO even though it broke my heart, because everyone else was telling me I shouldn't let him stay in my bed. He would not give up even for 2 hours. I will never try that again!! He is 13 mo now, and I have his mattress next to my bed, I lay next to him on the mattress until he goes to sleep, If he wakes up i just put him back in bed with me. Is there a reason that he shouldnt be in the bed with you? I know I am going to miss it when he get a little bigger. he is sleeping longer and longer stretches at night on his mattress, When he is a little bigger, I am just going to get him the toddler bed, but for now this has been working great for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• id say put the crib next to your bed for a little while until he gets used to it, if he still cries pick him up and put him in your bed.....hell eventually get used to being in his crib, and if hes still close enough to you it might put him at ease knowing youre still next to him but he wont be in your bed and if hes big enough for the toddler bed put it right against your mattress like yours has an extention built just for him......basically i agree with the first anon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Time :) DD started sleeping through the night around 19 mos. I still let her sleep in my bed at 20 mos, and I really don't see us stopping before she's two (big move coming up). I don't mind at all.

Try to wean him from your bed. I have DDs crib set up as a cosleeper. When I decide to move her to her bed, I will slowly move her crib away from my bed, and then eventually into another room. Good luck :)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Well I would take the Super Nanny method and let the kid cry it out. They have to learn to self-soothe. I wouldn't let my kid cry for an hour but they have to learn that they can't sleep with mommy. My sister learned this the hard way too when her son was a newborn and let him sleep in a craddle in her room. At 3 months she tried to move him to the crib and baby refused to sleep through the night. She would give him the nuk and blanket, rub his back but didn't pick him up so he got the message that he had to sleep in the crib. It was the hardest week or two of her life but he now sleeps in the crib and through the night at 5 months old. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My 19 month old is still sleeping with us. We love it.

If you really want to get your baby out of your bed, slowly transition him into his bed. Put the crib next to your bed with one side dropped or off so it is like he's still in your bed. He will eventually get used to sleeping in his bed.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Thanks girls! My husband and I don't really mind him in our bed too much, since we do enjoy him in there also. But recently he has been trying to sleep on his belly in our bed and our bed is too soft and not safe for that (you can see his nose is too much in the mattress). So I have been a scared for him to be in there with us now.
    Thanks for the help...
    arocks

Answer by arocks at 4:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009