How can I help my son cope with not being able to use his pacifier?

My 8-month-old son uses a pacifier to help him calm down when he is really fussy, and also to help him go to bed at night. Recently though, he just had a really bad outbreak of excema around his mouth and his pediatrician said not to use the pacifier because it traps in saliva and moisture ( he is teething and drools a lot ). The past few days have been torture for the poor little guy, who screams and cries because he can't have his passy. What other ways do you guys think might help him calm down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a tough one. I know what you're going through. My son loves his passy and has eczema too. He started getting it a little around his mouth and our ped said the same thing. I looked at him like he was crazy, and he said to just limit it. Such as, if your child sleeps with one, wait until they are asleep then take it out. But I would give it to him to calm down.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• yeah he hates being "parted" from it. I can try all the other tricks but it is soo hard to console him. the drier, walking around with him, singing to him, reading to him---he just arches his back and cries. he wants his passy sooo bad, but I don't want him to have this excema outbreak forever.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2009