How can you get rid of earwigs in your mailbox?

For the past week, our mailbox ( directly across the street from our house, not attached to it ) has been infested with earwigs. We tried calling a couple of exterminators but they said that since the problem was not on our property, they couldn't do anything about it. Going to get the mail results in earwigs crawling all over it!!! What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Every one all you need is Skin So Soft oil it's a bath oil but it repells bugs too!
    Use for SSS is it will kill those pesky earwigs. Spray it on & they don't return to life.
    Sponge it around doors, windows, and on screens to keep crawling bugs out
    Add a capful to wash water of clothes...acts as a fabric softener and keeps the bugs off clothes.
    You could get it here www.youravon.com/nataliagonzalez . I could email you the list of all the things you could use it for!
    Beauty_Advisor

Answer by Beauty_Advisor at 12:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Eww!!! My mail box sits right underneat our front porch light so the bottom is usually filled with June Bugs ECK.......Maybe spray some bug spray in your mail box right after you take your mail out, giving it time to dry for tomorrows mail. I dont know if that'll work but hey, cant blame a girl for trying!! :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• This might me helpful too, http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg071027014673.html

Good Luck!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We have them inside our house. I don't know what to do about it. I Have 11 months old at home so I really can’t use any chemical.
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 10:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I heard that they can go in side the ear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• yeah I guess I could try a spray but I don't even know what kind of spray would kill earwigs. i hear they are quite hard to kill. and i don't want my mail smelling like Raid lol
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had to look up what earwigs were---I always called them "pincer bugs" LOL

Anyway...Boric Acid is a sprayless way of getting rid of them.  Sprinkle some boric acid along window sills (between window and screen) on a small dish or paper towel in cabinets where moisture accumulates--under sinks, basements, etc.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-earwigs.htm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009