• In the Spotlight:

What are your feelings about coverage on Pre-Existing Conditions?

As it stands right now, there is no coverage for Pre-Existing Conditions. Many of us, including myself cannot get medical services to help us ease our pain or irradicate it altogether. All because insurance comapnies refuse to pay to help cover the cost to remedy the problems. Obama is ready to crack down on the Insurance Companies and wants Private Insuance to help pay to have Pre-Existing Conditions to be covered under new mandates. What are your thoughts/feelings on this?

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Asked by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If everyone had insurance and could get the care they needed (not talking boob jobs here), there would be lower costs for all. Right now, uninsured people are the biggest burden on the insurance business.
    Example:
    Uninsured person goes to ER for an injury. Doesn't pay the bill. Hospital passes that cost off on everyone else with higher bills for all (uninsured and insured). Insurance company passes off that higher cost on those who are insured. Insured person pays higher premiums.

Now, if everyone were insured, the hospital costs could be lowered because the insurance would be paying part of every bill and there would be less going unpaid, meaning the hospital has a lower cost to "offset" by charging others more. Simple solution, everyone gets insured, everyone saves $$$.
    Anonymous

• Well I hope it works because before my husband switched jobs I had ALL KINDS of Kidney Stones and now with our new insurance I'm screwed!!! And its EXPENSIVE! I have had 4 procedures done before the insurance switched, I havent had to go back but I hope to God that I wont have to!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it depends on how one acquired pre-existing conditions....are they due to bad habits, hereditary, or "luck of the draw?!"

In the case of the latter two, I think people SHOULD be covered. Those who's bad habits contributed to their poor health should not UNLESS they make a real conscious and effective (results documented) efforts over time to cease the poor habit(s) that contributed in the first place.

For example, I do not think someone who CONTINUES to smoke should be allowed Oxygen Therapy! Saw an example of this last week, when I went to see my physician for a well-check!! Ugh!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• There are certain pre-existing conditions that HAVE to be covered. I'm diabetic and I had no trouble when hubby's employer switched insurance companies. I believe that ALL should be covered, though. That's why you have insurance, not just for the "what ifs".
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• LoriKeet, I must say that I do agree with you. Yes, I do smoke. And whatever happens to me, is MY fault. But also, I do have a cyst problem on my ovaries, mainly the left that I have had to "live with" for many years. All because insurances will NOT cover to have the ovary removed like it really does need to be. For THAT, I should be afforded the right to coverage.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• ANON 10:33, why, if I may ask?
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

• Why would giving the capital market away to the control of the govt. help anyone? This is the beginning of a socialist dictatorship and not what are founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the Declaration of Independence. I am for all pain relief but not at the expense of all choice relief! I want to be in control of my health and Dr.'s not big brother Obama taxing it out of every avenue he knows how?? Lets not play into him so easy and be niave about how he is rewriting what made this country great! Impeach Obama he is destroying America one law at a time but incredibaly fast! Defense cut one the edge of a catastrophe!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• it's a perfect examply of why health care can't be run like a business. My hubby has asthema (mostly controlled) and high blood pressure we couldn't get the maxium extra life insurance with one of our plans because of it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• just wait till the govt. decides if you are worth living in your weight of how functional a taxpayer you are! Are we really willing to take that risk? no cancer drugs weeks for surgeries and double talk out the bathroom faucet!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• honey is great for asthma in some tea btw! by the way. Freedom folks we need our freedom it what this country was founded upon!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009