My 15 Month Old Still Wakes for a Bottle. Advice?

I'm pregnant again, so I'm exhausted and I want to stop his wakings before the new baby arrives in December.

My 15 month old has been waking for 1 bottle a night since he was 11 months old. I wasn't concerned with it then. He would eat 7 to 8 ounces and go right back to sleep and I thought he'd just out grow that feeding by now.

Now, he's waking 3-5 times a night and he's screaming. He'll eat just about 3 ounces and go back to sleep until he wakes again in a couple of hours. It's almost as bad as when he was a newborn.

Anyone have advice of how I can get him to sleep through the night (we don't do cry it out) without waking my 3 year old that's just across the hall?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont do Cry it Out either, I also have a 3 year old across the hall and a 5 year old that shares a room with my 13 month old an I am ALOS due in December LOL (with our 4th). Do you think that maybe it could be gas? Or maybe unsecurity? Does he have a favorite blanket or does he take a Paci? Maybe hes too warm or too cold, it could be something elese other than a bottle if he is only taking 3 oz and going back to sleep.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Also, what kind of schedule is he on? How many naps is he taking during the day and also, how is his feeding schedule? A lot of that can interrupt night time sleep.
    angieluv

• It isn't gas. I can easily tell when he has gas (he makes a different cry and arches his back and doesn't want to be held). He does take a paci...loves it. His schedule is great. He takes one full length nap at noon (usually lasts 2.5 hours). He goes to bed at 8pm. He eats 3 meals of table food a day with snacks in between and drinks about 4 to 5 bottles of cow's milk throughout the day. I have tried to replace formula in his bottle with cow's milk at night, but he wakes really hungry about 3 times a night when I do that. He was breastfed until 10.5 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Oh, and he doesn't have food allergies. I do, so my allergist has already tested both my kids. He has no allergies at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Honestly, it sounds like you have created a habit of feeding him to get him to go back to sleep. Stop giving the bottle (is it full of milk or water?) and he will get the hint that he won't "win" and will find a better way to soothe himself to sleep. This happened with my son at about 4-6 months old. Finally, I gave him water one night instead of nursing him and he got the hint. We did do CIO, so I can't help you in that since, but if you stop giving him milk, that will definitly help! (and if you continute to give him milk in the middle of the night, please make sure to brush his teeth when you are finished!!)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My 19 month old still wakes up during the night to nurse. It varies from once a nitht to many times. It is normal for some babies to still wake at this age.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2009