Are you already buying supplies for Back To School?

Or are you actually almost DONE with buying supplies (and if needed, uniforms)? Or will you wait until the Tax-Free week comes up and then go and buy everything then?

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Asked by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm from Chicago and never heard of such a thing as tax free week, lol. We bought most of the kids' supplies earlier this week. We spent $150 on 3 kids (that included 4 bookbags--the youngest is going into preschool and 2 pair of jeans). We still have to buy all the cleaning stuff they need, a few odds and ends we couldn't find and uniforms for my son. The extra supplies will be at least $50 and the uniforms will be at least $100, probably more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We will most likely wait for the Teachers Lists and for Tax-Free week.....BTW, when is that? LOL
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Tax free week??? huh??? you're kidding me???? where is the tax free week at??? I want to shop there!!!

To answer your question....nope, haven't even started yet. Don't want to think about school yet, although my kindergartners got their classroom/teacher assignments in the mail last week. Scary....they are growing up on us too fast here. They have uniforms(public school) but it's just blue t-shirts/polos or school logo shirts and khaki pants or shorts. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to dress them. The school supply list is ridiculous though, 6 glue sticks, copy paper, 1 pack dry erase markers, ziploc baggies, one white binder and the list goes on and on and on..........

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It is in August, I know that. I want to say around the middle of the first, to the second week of the month. For me, I have MOST of what was needed. I have all three going to school this year. All that's left are odds and ends. As well as uniforms (UGH!).
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Try 24 small or 12 large glue sticks (ea. for 2 of them), altogether buying about 16 notebooks (for 2 of them), about 14 folders and a bunch more stuff that I know will take forever to list. Not to mention a Kindermat for my youngest. My kids also wear Polo shirts (red, white, blue) and Khakis.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sadly, Illinois does not have any tax holidays (and the sales tax rate in Chicago is 10,25%).

We buy on sale year-round. My primary investment will be binders; my daughter will need 7, and I buy a duplicate of each in case they break. I bought them at Target yesterday, and came home to find a 15%off coupon for OffficeMax . So the Target ones will go back.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have bought half of the stuff cause we got her list with the registration packet at the end of the year last year. I don't like going when the stores are crowded.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We are almost done, except for clothes. Meijer was having a great sale the last 2 weeks so we stocked up on everything! Michigan also does not have a tax free time :-( I hate to think of school stuff in July, but I'd rather buy crayons now for 19cents a box then in Sept for $1.99! LOL!
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 10:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am done with shopping for school supplies. I always get them early before everything is picked over and to avoid the crowds. I don't shop the tax free weekend unless I am buying something big like a computer. Saving a few dollars on folders and notebooks is not worth my sanity. haha We will get a few new clothing items and some shoes but that will be quick and easy. I am really glad to be done with the school supplies though.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I found this link that mentions which states participate in tax free weekend, the dates, and what items are tax free. It figures, nevada is not one of the states. Neither is my home state of indiana.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009