do you agree with the hospitals actions?

STUART, Fla. – All sides agree on one thing in the strange case of a South Florida hospital that secretly repatriated a seriously brain injured patient back to Guatemala.

During the early hours of a steamy July 2003 morning, Martin Memorial Medical Center chartered a private plane and sent 37-year-old Luis Jimenez back to the Central American country without telling his relatives in the U.S. or Guatemala — even as his cousin and legal guardian, Montejo Gaspar, frantically sought to stop the move.

There, things get murky. Gaspar is suing the hospital for essentially deporting Jimenez, who was an illegal immigrant. The hospital, which spent more than $1.5 million on his care over three years, says Jimenez wanted to go home.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_re_us/us_hospital_deportation

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Underlying the dispute is the broader question of what's a hospital to do with a patient who requires long-term care, is unable to pay and doesn't qualify for federal or state aid because of his immigration status. Health care and immigration experts across the country are watching the case, which could go to a jury Thursday, and which could set precedent in Florida and possibly beyond. Lawyers for Jimenez said this appears to be the first time a lawsuit has been filed in such a case.

In closing arguments Thursday, Jack Hill, Gaspar's attorney, said the hospital wanted to send Jimenez back before the case could get on track for appeals.

Did they overstep their bounds? Or do the right thing? I think they had no choice BUT to deport him, his care was NOT being paid for...but what about a patients rights??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If the man wanted to go home good for him, but he had a legal guardian who say went before anything he said. So it was illegal what they did
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have no problem with the defending the rights for continued long-term care of AMERICAN patients....but for $1.5 Million to be absorbed by the hospital for an ILLEGAL immigrant, who had no insurance and no intention of paying, I DO have a problem with!

When do we say enough is a enough, and when do we start saying "NO" to illegals?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes, we had a similar experience in our hospital and deported patient after one and half years of free care in our hospital. In our case, there was family in his home country to care for patient.
    But I believe the hospital has every right to deport patients after care is giving. Many of our own citizens aren't getting medical care. Another reason to reform our present day health care system. There is so much wrong with the present day system that the public is not aware of.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The hospital paid for his excorted airfare, wheelchair and health supplies not the mention his over two million dollar hospital bill. This was passed on to you the taxpayer. This is NOT an isolated case. Hospitals are faced with deporting non paying patients after medical care.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The hospital did what they had to. So many hospitals are closing in Cali due to illegals. I don't blame the hospital thinking about the tax paying citizens who actually contribute and belong here. As long as he was left with someone who could care for him in his native country too bad for his family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

I know all about the patients rights and all..BUT we can't PAY for EVERYONE's health care..I agree, we (meaning the tax payers) can't be held responsible for those medical bills. It all comes down to lax immigration laws...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Did he survive or not?
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 11:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They did more than their share. 1.5 mil? No one's gonna pay that for me!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Many businesses have illegal immigrants working off the books and when they get hurt, the illegal is dropped off at the hospital for free care. I know, my husband who is not an illegal immigrant works for a business like this. We have no health insurance. I'm in school and we barely make ends meet. The owner has two million dollar homes, three cars and much more. I hope Obama taxes the hell out of him!

Time for reform. I'm a taxpayer too. All employers must provide health care. Stop immigrans working off the books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2009