Clash of the classes...can you explain this one?

I grew up in an upper middle class subdivision. No mansions and sprawling lawns with fountains..but a nice home and yard. When I met my DH was living in a part of town that is well lets just say "past its prime". Anyway, when I moved in with him, it was a learning experience to say the least. So I find myself noticing a lot of differences between his street and they one I grew up on. Differences for the life of me I cannot explain.
No one around here walks on the sidewalk but rather right down the middle of the street..why? No one here does anything in their back yards. They are not huge yards here but big enough..we fit a pool in ours. But everyone grills and gathers in the front yard. I even saw the neighbors put a ping pong table up on the front lawn.
These are just observations, not bashing. Can anyone explain why people here do these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because in neighborhoods like that its more of a community its not as private and separate as the one you grew up on. (at least thats the feel i get from what you descirbed)
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it is more of a "look at me" thing. Heaven forbid we miss something. I don't get why people grill and party on the front lawn either. A perfectly good back yard, why not use it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think its because people are more relaxed and care less what the upity neighbors think. They have fun with their friends and family and dont care whether its in the front or back yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They walk in the street cuz most communities like that dont have sidewalks or only one.
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 11:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't get the street thing either....people walk right down the middle here too ( I grew up out in a rural area - you're likely to be hit by a BMW or a tractor lol)

as for congregating on the front lawns - sounds like they are pretty community oriented and would rather watch the world go by than sit in the back.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• "I think its because people are more relaxed and care less what the upity neighbors think."

I don't recall saying anything about anyone being upity just because they grew up in the sub-burbs. I DO recall saying this was only an observation, not bashing. Leave it to someone to start throwing stones. Our neighborhood has a side walk on every street. Why would I mention the walking down the street thing if there were no sidewalks? Sounds like someone is bent out of shape, maybe because they do these things and can offer no educated response?
    Anonymous